Unsure about how Demo lesson went...opinions? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Unsure about how Demo lesson went...opinions?

>

Papayagirl

Unsure about how Demo lesson went...opinions?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey guys. So yesterday I did a demo lesson with a school for a position within the grade level that I just recently completed a leave replacement for. I was given a K math standard about comparing numbers. But then, when I got there, they put me in a room with kids going into second grade. My guess is they didn't want the same kids in multiple demos. Two other teachers were selected to demo.

I had a lesson prepared where I modeled rolling dice, building the number with counters on a blank number path and rolling again and building a second. I then modeled matching the counters 1-1 to show that the group which had leftover counters had the greater amount. I then split the class into partners, one partner was peanut butter, one was jelly. I had peanut butter partners build 5 with me, and jelly build 3. We compared and found the greater number by matching. I then tried one more example and then let them roll, build and compare independently. They seemed engaged and were rolling, building, and drawing lines to match.

The thing is when I called on students to explain why one number was greater, they said "Because 6 is more than 5". They did not really use the counters left over explanation I was teaching. I would then ask about what the counters showed, some answered it, some didn't. But I'm worried because although they were carrying out the steps, they were not using the reasoning. I brought it to a close with that principle teaching point one more time, the principal walked me out, shook my hand and thanked me and said if I wanted to send him a digital copy of my plan I could, and said he would be in touch Friday or Monday to discuss what's next.

How does it sound like it went? There were only two kids not really engaged and kept talking, so each time I addressed it by going over to them or calling on them to redirect them.

I'm just so worried it looks bad "They didn't get it". Also, I'm thinking it might be because these are kids 2 years older than K and at this point have internalized which number is bigger so that's why they give that explanation.

Papayagirl is offline   Reply With Quote