Tough Teacher Job Market in S. California!? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Tough Teacher Job Market in S. California!?

>

Wondering?!

Wondering?!

Tough Teacher Job Market in S. California!?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any insights into the current (SY19-20) elementary school teacher job market in S. California? Began my teaching career in California, taught out of state for many years, then moved back. Masters degree, updated credentials, and loads of experience in different grade levels, but still jobless with not even one interview in sight. Are there too many good teachers in California?

Fractured

Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can’t speak for all of Socal- are you looking at a certain area? My friend teaches for Lausd in the South Bay and says that her school has been losing a lot of students to charter schools, so much that they might even close down in a few years. She made it sound like this was a common thing, so I’m guessing the job market for elementary is more scarce. I can tell you I’ve been looking at ms and hs and it seems like lot of crappy charter school jobs or public school jobs in places I really wouldn’t want to teach.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Shortage
Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

From what I see there is a shortage of teachers in CA.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I sure find that as the same situation in my part of the SF Bay Area in northern CA! Can’t get hired.....

In my area the shortage isn’t elementary teachers and the biggest shortage is Sub teachers or sci/math/language!
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You have two strikes against you: a masters degree and experience. Sadly districts look at how much you will cost them, not who is best for the position.

My district had a number of openings this summer and filled each one with an intern.

Sometimes a last minute opening will occur when an additional class needs to be added. Keep checking edjoin.

If you are close to Los Angeles lausd is more likely to have openings since they have a transient population.

If you are looking to teach in a “nice” suburb it’s not going to happen unless you go into a private school

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote