Help

The Job Search

After Demo Questions

>

lovemyjob7777

After Demo Questions
Old 08-06-2019, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I had my demo yesterday. It went ok, not as well as I hoped. (There was a child not engaged and talking a bit, and I don’t think I handled it as well as I would have if it were my actual class and 4 strangers weren’t watching me. You could tell this is probably this child’s demeanor normally. He was very low.) Afterward, we went to another room and they asked me a couple of questions. They then asked if I had any. They didn’t give any if their feedback on the lesson. Should I have asked them for some? I thought right afterward that I should have. Or, maybe they weren’t too impressed, and that is why I didn’t get any??? This was my first demo lesson. Any feedback would be appreciated. TY!

lovemyjob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

I wonder...
Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wonder what questions they have asked you. Did they ask you questions about your resume content or questions specific to your demo lesson? If they did ask questions about your demo lesson, how do you think you answered them? Usually, administrators want to know how you reflect as a professional. For example, a typical question "if you had to teach this lesson again, what would you do differently" is asked a lot. Also, they normally ask questions about your assessment techniques and how you know that students were engaged, or how you know they learned anything, if at all. As far as you asking for the feedback, you may have asked, but I doubt they would have given you a thorough feedback. They may have just said, "your lesson went well", or "I think it was a nice lesson" or something like that.

You may want to send, unless you have already done so, a Thank You email, thanking the administration for an opportunity to teach a lesson and that you hope to hear from them very soon.

Lastly, you may also give them a call, maybe, a week later to just check in.

I hope this helps!
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemyjob7777

The Questions were...
Old 08-06-2019, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They did ask how I thought my lesson went. I told them I thought it went well, but I would have shortened it a bit and then mentioned the “acting out” child, and how I could have done something a bit more with him. (I did try to address his behavior by walking over to him, asking him a question, praising another student, and then eventually moving him to the other table with different kids. He still spoke out a bit there too.) They asked what else I could have done, and then reminded me that every class will have behaviors such as this and how I will manage it. I gave them a couple of personal examples. The last question was a generic, “Why do you think you’re a good fit for our school.”
Thought?
lovemyjob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

Well..
Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It looks like you touched all the bases there. I think at this point all you have to do is wait and hope they go with your candidacy. However, I hope you have more options. When does the school start for you?
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote