New resident teacher- clueless about intervention. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Intervention & Title I Services

New resident teacher- clueless about intervention.

>

CaptainSkelly

New resident teacher- clueless about intervention.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Helllo. I recently underwent training to be an elementary homeroom teacher, but after applying to a few different schools I was assigned to be a reading and math interventionist.

I have, frankly, zero idea what this ill entail, and one week to figure it out before students come in.
Im sure that I will have plenty of professional development opportuities as the year starts, but I'm setting up my room and beyond "Put the ABCs up and grab some books for a leisure library," I'm stuck.

CaptainSkelly is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Hi and welcome
Old 08-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like you are a new teacher. Usually interventionists have a few years experience before getting that job which gives them a background in programs and teaching students with varying abilities.

If you haven't already, set up an appointment with the principal and ask about intervention programs the school might use. There are some fairly scripted programs that some schools/districts have for their interventions. You can get the Teacher's Editions of the various grade levels and familiarize yourself with their organization and sequence of activities.

Find out how students are referred for your services, if it's particular score ranges in testing or teacher recommendations. Some of the assessments used have guidance for remediation based on various scores in subtests.

As an afterthought, I'm wondering if you've been hired as a teacher or an aide. If an aide, I'll bet you will be using a scripted program, although teachers can have that requirement as well.

I also suggest you post your question on the BusyBoard to get more responses. This board doesn't get much traffic. As you can see the previous posting was in April and got one response.

It would be good, however, to go through the various postings on this intervention board to gather some background info. You may also do well to go to the magnifying glass icon at the top left of this screen and use it to search ProTeacher for RtI or Response to Intervention which is the current jargon around intervention. You can also use those terms in a Google search to get lots of sometimes conflicting but very informative links.

Feel free to ask more questions as you get more information on your assignment. Management/behavior is often among the more pressing issues for newcomers. The first year can be very stressful, but highly rewarding. Enjoy your adventure.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote