Help

Kindergarten

Why don't they differentiate for us?

>

TeacherPK6

Why don't they differentiate for us?
Old 10-29-2019, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else experience this? You go to a PD. The PD presenter inevitably uses an example from 3rd grade or higher and tells us we can "tweak it" to make it fit with K standards. Ironically this is much more likely with PD in the building with admin presenting (district wide PD usually has sessions tailored to various grade level ranges at least).

Ummm no. K is so different, plus shouldn't the presenter be the one providing examples that are suitable for what we do? So often many of these "PDs" don't even really fit at all with K.

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-29-2019, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just twiddle my thumbs. They have no clue how to make it appropriate so they shove it onto us to figure out. Which, for me, means I don't do it.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It infuriates me It's usually something that is no where near appropriate for K.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-29-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Every. Single. Time.
I try to explain that K is it's own beast. But if you haven't done it you have no idea.
I've experienced one exception to this rule. We adopted Bridges for our math curriculum this year and the PD was amazing! We met k-2 and our presenter differentiated for everyone and knew exactly what she was talking about in regards to each grade level. I've seriously never been so satisfied with curriculum training as I was for those two days.

Funny story. I'm on the math committee for my school. We were "discussing" our new report card and how it needed to look because the ridiculous goal was a school wide, standardized report card (k-6 - mmmmhmmmm...). I tried and tried to explain that it didn't work for us. I finally showed the "lead" teacher on the group our old report card and our standards and her jaw almost dropped. She said something like "This is totally different! What we are talking about would never work for K! You guys just do what you need to do." It was pretty funny (and a relief!).
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote