Help

Special Education

Gen ed teacher

>

Tounces

Gen ed teacher
Old 11-01-2019, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today a gen ed teacher came in my room after she saw what I was sending home with a student.
She wanted me to use a list of words that were the same as hers. (F & P words). I haven’t heard of F & P having word lists before. They are a combination of sight words and phonemic words. I use Dolch words to monitor progress of sight words. I am also Orton Gillingham certified. I tried to explain to her that the instruction I use has different strategies for sight words vs words to sound out. Plus the resources I have are all related to Dolch words. I wasn’t given a budget for instructional materials nor do I have time to change/make all of the materials to make the list she uses.
We ended up agreeing that since some of the words are the same, we could both focus on those words for now. Ok great, right?
Nooooo. After our talk she went to look for the principal to complain about me. She couldn’t find her so went to talk to the title teachers. Then the title teachers went to the principal.
Fortunately, the principal was a special ed teacher and director. She backed me up and so did the current special ed director.
But now, I have to meet with them then meet with title and the gen ed teacher. I only get a prep one day a week. The meeting is scheduled during my lunch.
Why should I have to explain my teaching strategies and defend myself?
Oh, and the title teachers met quickly with me and the special ed director after school. They offered to “help me” with reading instruction because they have a reading license. 🙄

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd be beyond annoyed over this entire scenario. While it's nice the P backed you up, why do you have to meet again? It seems to me that P could tell people to mind their own business without a meeting .

Our interventionists (we're not allowed to say "title 1 teacher" anymore, but that's what they are) regularly throw me under the bus. It's so easy for them because when a student is really struggling, they can just say that the kid needs an IEP. I don't have anyone to pass the buck to. Then they curry favor with the gen ed teachers because they'll say to them, "Poor you, xyz student needs an IEP and sped won't give him one," while we're going through the legally required MTSS process.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lmc762

Old 01-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would be really mad. It sounds like they just want to be petty. I would not meet during my lunch. I would ask your union about that (if you have one). Why would you have to meet with them? I would give my students word lists and extra readings for extra practice because they need it. Why would they suggest you need help with reading instruction?
Lmc762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are sight words covered in the child's IEP? My IEPs with sight words all use a specific list. I can't just change it without calling an IEP meeting or at the very least doing an amendment. Also, if she had specific words she wanted students working on why weren't you told at the beginning of the school year?
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote