Help

Special Education

Severe/Profound Multi test

>

tabat32

Severe/Profound Multi test
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning. I am currently a certified general education teacher and former NBCT in Oklahoma who has been placed in the Level 3 Autism class. I have no formal SPED training and have taken the Severe/Profound Test 2 times and have failed my most recent test by 4 points. I failed my first test by 5 points, I guess that's progress.
The problem I'm having is passing the writing prompt. I answer the questions just as I have done with all other certifications tests making sure to include each topic they're requesting and citing from the prompt but my score has remained the exact same both time. The study guides I used weren't much help in this area and neither is the internet. Can anyone give me a little insight on what you did to pass this section of the test? Obviously I'm doing something wrong , I just don't know what.

tabat32 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve never heard of a severe/profound test. In CA, ALL teachers have to pass a basic skills test (essentially skills that you should have learned in middle and high school) as well as a reading instruction competency test. This applies to all teachers whether they are doing regular Ed or SPED (even severe SPED).

For the writing prompt, are they wanting you to write an essay with theme, organization, standard conventions, etc. or is it more to assess your knowledge of effective practices for students with severe disabilities?
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Can you
Old 11-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

go to testing websites and look at sample tests? When I took the test for my Praxis and later the Pearson core content tests, I went to ETS and looked at the sample tests in any areas even remotely connected to my areas. (ETS called them TAG or test-at-a-glance.)

I looked at the sample answers and how they interpreted those answers and why. I looked for common language and phrasing in the constructed response tests. I think they had answers that were scored at different levels even so that I could see the differences in a good answer, a medium answer, and a poor answer.

Each sample test only has a few questions and answers so I looked at the other tests in the same or similar categories.

I think it would help no matter which testing site was used--they are usually similar.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not familiar with this particular test, but a basic guideline for essay-type tests is to make sure that you answer the question/questions that are asked. Don't simply write everything you know about the general topic.

It might also be worth some points to include current theories, strategies, and experts (by name)--but ONLY if this information is pertinent to the question.

I remember being taught back in junior high to have supporting facts (2 or 3) for each main idea.

Legible handwriting, complete sentences, logical organization, transitions from one idea to the next--all the hallmarks of good writing help.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-03-2019, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Did you see the sample constructed response question with responses at different score levels?

https://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/5545.pdf

I even didn't know they had a test for severe/profound.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote