Help

Special Education

Fundations

>

Snowflake29

Fundations
Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you consider fundations a decoding program or an encoding program? In my school we use it as a spelling intervention (but k-2 uses it as a whole group program).

I have a group of 3rd graders who fell in level 1 so we are starting with the basics but Iím hoping itíll boost their reading level too because they are at two years below grade level right now. (We are doing other reading interventions with them as well).

I understand decoding and encoding work hand in hand but Iím just wondering if youíve seen growth with a students decoding abilities with the program at the lower level... or what the your thoughts are with students who have significant reading difficulties making growth from it.

Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would consider it both. My school used to use Fundations and I loved it, but that's because it was being used school wide. My kids were getting the Fundations block in class and then I used similar language and strategies (with "tier 3" modifications) in my classroom. The fact that it was being taught in classrooms and the common language was what made it so great, IMO. If the rest of the class has moved on from that (sounds like it's not being used in class for your third graders) I don't know that it would be as valuable considering it's also a tier 2 program. I would personally go with something more intensive- i.e. their SPIRE program if you have the ability to.

My school decided Fundations moved too slowly for gen ed (even though we had a significant number of students who needed that pace/level of intervention) and got rid of it several years ago . We are using a new program this year that will hopefully bring back the common language, but IMO is not as good as Fundations was for the struggling reader.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! That makes sense.

So at my school they teach fundations until 3rd but 3rd graders do level 3 so I always end up pulling my own group because we typically have many that are not up to level 3. Depending on the group of kids. Sometimes theyíre slightly below at level 2 but then other times like this year I have a big group that is still falling at level 1 so we start from scratch. so when gen ed is doing level 3 Iím doing small group level 1.

What is SPIRE? Iíve never heard of it... what makes it different from
fundations?

Iíd love to hear your tier 3 modifications that you mentioned! Iím always looking for ways to make my time with them more effective 🙂
Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote