Help

Fifth Grade

Accelerated Reader

>

rougherreader

Accelerated Reader
Old 11-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you all use Accelerated Reader in your classrooms?

rougherreader is offline   Reply With Quote

LRRichardson

Ar
Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am starting at a new school year this year and many of the teachers do not put an emphasis on it. I tried that for the first marking period, but I saw a lot of students would do fake reading, or start a book and return it after a couple chapters. I put more of an emphasis on it this marking period and I have seen more reading taking place. I make a chart with each of the students numbers written on cut-out stars. The chart goes from 0-100%. Every time they take a test, I move their star to the percentage of their goal. I think they have been motivated by seeing their stars move.

I also use the Team section of Accelerated Reader. I put the students in teams of 4 or 5. As a team, they try to be the first team to reach 100% of their goal (meaning everyone will need to get 100%). I do weekly updates and give little prizes for the team who is in the weekly lead. They seem to like this motivation as well.
LRRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote

rougherreader

Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your feedback! Those are both great ideas! I like having individual and group goals! Thanks again!
rougherreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree about fake reading taking place if students aren't held accountable.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

used to have it-miss it
Old 12-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with LRRichardson. When I had AR, I had structures in place that made sure I met with students, that they had goals, and competition was injected.

1. Don't be die-hard/rigid about reading ranges. Guide students to challenge themselves, but allow the occasional "silly, fun read" (out of level).

2. Meet with students every time they take a quiz to review the results.

3. Take a status of the class. I still do this, even without AR. (I did this in place of a reading log.) I make a grid with students in order. Aloud, students give the name of their book and the page number they are on. Students can also say they are taking a quiz or choosing a book. I catch lots of inaccuracies this way, and I can encourage students to read a certain number of pages.

4. I taught sixth at the time, and teams were awesome! it allowed me to let them know that their reading level should be immaterial to their success. It's aimed at you as a reader, so there are no excuses for not getting it done. (Barring the catastrophic life event, of course.)

5. Add in pop-up book talks. Students recommend books to others. I have also set up groups reading the same book for those who need/want more support.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote