Help

BusyBoard

Thank you note piggy back

>

Luvetc3

Thank you note piggy back
Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In reading the thank you note thread, I got to thinking about my habits.

I write thank you notes to the students. This year, they got popped into their classroom mailboxes. I saw some left on the students' desks. They'd been read and were propped up so they could be looked at again. Other years, they get read and tossed. The thank you notes have been written...but they don't always get home. In this day and age, should I be documenting the notes and sending a copy home via email....tongue in cheek...kind of.

Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 01-12-2020, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree! This is why I don’t understand a parent getting in a snit over it. The gift is from the child; I give a thank you to the child. Done.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Email
Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For years I have sent thank you emails. I start with, “Dear Larla and Family,”.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-12-2020, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I never want a parent to think I didn't thank them for the gifts, so I always either send them in the mail or put them in Thursday folders so that I am certain the parents see them. I, too, address them, "Dear student and family".

While the gift is from the child it is the parent who paid for it.

I agree about getting in a tizzy over not receiving one...a gift should not be given if it is done with the expectation of receiving a thank you note!

To each their own, I say!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Me
Old 01-12-2020, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always gave them to students. Then two years in a row, I started noticing them sitting in students' desks. The students had read them, but they hadn't made it home. I address the notes to ______ and family. At the end of the year, I mailed them because I was so worried the parents weren't getting them. But, that ended up getting to be more of a pain for me...looking up their addresses, buying stamps, going to the post office, etc. I have gone back to delivering them. This year, I haven't noticed any still sitting desks or anything. I also see other teachers putting thank you notes on students' desks for them to take home, so I'm hoping that's a sign that they do make it home at this school.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-13-2020, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some teachers I know do a weekly email to all parents... fairly informal and short, just a "here's what we're doing and what's coming up" sort of thing... That might be a place to mention a general thank you with the observation that "notes have been sent home with your child..."
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-13-2020, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always write them the day of or the next day and address them to student and family. Even though I tell kids to take them home and open them, I see them opening them so they may or may not make it out of the backpacks.

If a family was upset because they didn't get one, I wouldn't even know, and I don't really care. I am not going to write 2 of them. If you worry about it, put them in the mail. I had to do that last year because I was too busy moving rooms (purging years of collected crap) to get them done. That is probably the safest way to ensure families see them.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote