Help

BusyBoard

Writing Celebration ideas

>

Teacherbee_4

Writing Celebration ideas
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students are finishing up their persuasive writing pieces. They all researched the same topic, chose a side, and came up with reasons and evidence to support those reasons to promote their side. The papers are typed up on Google Docs. I want to do a writing celebration. They worked VERY hard on these and I am impressed with how they turned out. I plan to have some fun, healthy snacks, but I'm not sure the best way to have them share them. I don't have equal amounts on both sides, so pairing them up on opposite sides won't work very well.

Should they share in pairs, partners, or small groups? I thought about printing off the papers and have the students do more of gallery walk and have some sort of feedback mat to give praise. The only problem with that is that I would have to print off all 22 of the papers since my students can't print on their account. I was thinking to avoid the printing, I would just have them have chrome books up.

Thoughts on the best way to have them share their work with each other?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Read out loud
Old 01-12-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you ask for volunteers to read them out loud? If would be neat to have guests come in to hear them. I think if you require all students to read all of them they would get bored with the topic.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Not sure I totally follow...
Old 01-13-2020, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But for the mechanics... can you assemble the papers into a "book?" (I can picture a copy in the school library.) I do some publishing and that's driving my thinking here... I may be way off base. It could be as simple as using a spiral binding, depending on what sort of printing and binding options are available at your school. Your celebration could include a book signing wherein the kids sign the copy (or copies) for the library--and, if each gets a copy as a keepsake, they could sign each other's. That way they'd be sharing their work with the entire school! It might also be possible to create an e-book that would be as simple as a pdf of the printed version. Maybe somebody could write a review or book report...

If I get crazy with the idea it could turn into a "parent's night" activity... or, as already suggested, invite parents and others to the "book signing party." The class is celebrating their writing and publishing. Check with admin, but consider inviting the local media.

It sounds like a great project! Congratulations!
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Time capsule of sorts
Old 01-13-2020, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it would be neat if you could keep a copy of each students writing until they graduate. I taught in a small schoo! Where students attended their whole career so it would be easy to accomplish.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 01-16-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the ideas! So, I decided to print off copies and then do a kind of like the book signing suggested. Along with the printed copies was a sheet of blank paper. Students went around the room and read each other's. Then they wrote specific, positive feedback and signed their name. We also did an oral compliment circle where they had to pick 1 student to compliment (and everyone had a different 1 so everyone got something) and they had to share one thing they liked about their writing.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for coming back and posting how things turned out... that's, unfortunately, a too-rare occurrence. Glad the book idea was helpful!
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote