What do you do if a student refuses to complete sped testing? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

What do you do if a student refuses to complete sped testing?

>

Haley23

What do you do if a student refuses to complete sped testing?
Old 01-27-2020, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is happening with my first year teacher teammate now and I'm honestly not sure how to advise. The only time I've ever seen this happen was years and years ago when I was new to this district and learning how to give the formal assessments (previous district had only psychs test).

Another teacher was coming over to model the assessments for me and the kid refused some of it. After several tries on different days, she simply wrote in the eval report that those sections weren't able to be scored. However, it was a different scenario because the IEP was only for behavior and we had other evidence that the student was very high academically, so no one questioned if academic services were required.

This particular student started out qualifying LD, several years later switched to ED, and is now being reevaluated. Obviously the refusal speaks to the ED, but he currently has academic services on the IEP and there are questions about if he really still qualifies for those. The reeval data will also determine placement for middle school.

She tried having rewards for each subtest and that didn't work. There isn't that much we can do in the way of consequences other than saying he doesn't earn said rewards. We're allowed to take away recess (my next thought would be- do it now or do it at recess), but I've worked with this kid and would honestly not be surprised if he just sits there every single day at recess out of spite. Truly his persistence for doing nothing is an art form . By 6th grade recess doesn't hold as much appeal anyway. Parents are no help and we really have nothing else "fun" to take away.

She asked about getting admin involved and I'm honestly not sure. Sped teachers are typically expected to handle behavior by ourselves . Would you do that? Try for x number of days (how many) and then just say the testing couldn't be completed? What does that mean as far as his services?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Refusing testing
Old 01-28-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have any other academic data? Like MAP or any progress monitoring? We've used that as a tie-breaker between LD and ID, but I wonder if you can make decisions off of those scores.

From what I understand, if you can't get new scores his previous scores still stand and that drives his services. But I teach middle school and we also do not re-test unless we think there would be a big change or want to change placement.

I should qualify that our school psychs do all the testing in my district.

If he is in special ed in middle school will he not get to take any "fun" electives? In my district resource time is at the expense of an elective. Would that motivate him to try?
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-28-2020, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The only progress monitoring we have is DIBELS, which he's high in, but we typically wouldn't make an IEP decision just based on that. We don't do MAP, STAR, NWEA, anything like that. Classroom assessments are low, but our curriculum is extremely rigorous and a lot of gen ed students score poorly. Effort also plays a role there as the tests are obviously difficult.

I won't go into too many details, but the previous intermediate sped teacher kind of messed this case up and as a result the most recent formal testing is from his initial, which was done by me way back when he was in 1st grade. So it doesn't seem like they'd want to use that data to determine current services.

I don't think our middle school works like that. Most kids are just in co-taught classes and those with more significant needs are in a remedial/basic skills English/math whatever subject class taught by a sped teacher (in place of a "regular" subject class, not in addition to). I had thought about having her explain to him that a poor score could place him in a special ed class with kids with lower abilities, but I'm not sure. I could see him figuring out that means less work/less challenge and actually wanting that. I might suggest she reach out to the middle school teacher and see what she recommends/what would give them the most helpful information for next year. And possibly ask our sped director how to proceed if she just can't get him to do it.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote