Help

BusyBoard

Need tech ideas.

>

MissAgnes

Need tech ideas.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My explorations class didn't fill for tomorrow, so I've been assigned the Tech Time group. Which means computers for 6 hours. Multi-age group, K-5. I have no idea what to do with them. Someone suggested Code.org, which is fine, but I can't see doing that for 6 hours! It's 3 hours in the morning, 3 in the afternoon.
I'm familiar with some programs like Kerbal Space Program, but that's not good for littles.
There was another site that had these little critters and you made them sing?

I'm just at a loss. I don't usually have primary kids, so I'm at a loss.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have primary kids either, but I would definitely do some of the unplugged activities in Code.org. 6 hours on the computer is way too much screen time for anyone.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Is it the same kids for 6 hours?
Old 01-29-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is it the same kids for 6 hours? If so, I agree, that's too long for one thing. If groups are rotating and say, spending an hour at a group, code.org would be great. The great thing about code.org is that they can work at their own pace. I would also suggest some of the unplugged activities, especially if you have the same kids for the whole 6 hours!

Scratch Jr could be another site you use.

Chatterpix or blaberize would be good.

If you have access to green screen, they could use books to research a person, animal, place, etc. and then you could film them saying things about the topic they researched using the green screen and then put it into a video...them with their animal, place, person, etc in the background talking about what they learned. They could research an event and do a news broadcast with the green screen too. If you have them research using books, that would get rid of some screen time, too.

If you have the same group of kids for that 6 hours, maybe you could show them go noodle or videos on youtube of different brain breaks or exercises (like yogas, dance routines, etc.) to get them moving. That would show them how they can find resources for moving online, so it still uses tech, but in a way where they are exercising their bodies.

You could also have them use an app to teach a skill they are learning in their classroom.

A digital escape room would be fun, too!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Tech Time
Old 01-29-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Will you have certain groups for a certain amount of time, or is it a free-for-all, come-and-go as you please? In either case, I recommend ABCya.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Same group
Old 01-29-2020, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's the same group of kids all day. I'm going to use code.org. The librarian lent me some little mouse robots that the kids program. I'll probably go through the options at the beginning, then put them in rotations.
I'm not happy about th

KeyKid

That's a LONG time
Old 01-29-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm not sure I'd want to be a student and have tech time all day. And Ks? Really? Good luck!
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Got some more ideas
Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Librarian gave me a couple of coding robot kits- suitable for littles. So there will be several non-computer based activities. Iíll also have an iPad with the quiver app where they can color a coloring page and see it animated in 3D!