Help

BusyBoard

Intern

>

3boys:)

Intern
Old 01-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for 22 years. I have had many pre-interns before. This year I have a full time intern. My question is this; during the full time teaching by my intern do I need to leave the room for most of the day and just check in. I donít mean right at the beginning, but later when she gets more comfortable. What has been the policy from your school systems/colleges? My CT was gone ALOT, if not most of the time during my last weeks. But that was over 20 years ago. My internís college professor never really answered when she asked about it.

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-29-2020, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it varies by program and state. I was left alone here and there early in my program when I did my public school placement (most of my hours were in private school but I had to get 20% of my hours in a placment with diverse learners-my pivate school had zero ELL's or IEPs) but I didnt have to be alone until my solo teaching hours-I needed about 60 hours of solo teaching.

For me the whole thing was weird because I was actually working at the school without full certification (private school) for most of my hours-so they were obviously solo teaching hours . But to do my true "solo teaching" hours I had to do them in my cooperating teachings class . Whatever, he got a bunch of free time to get report cards done.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-30-2020, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are supposed to be out of the room for the entire takeover part. We stay on campus, but aren't supposed to check in at all. I usually do all of my prep for the beginning of the next year.

My current student teacher has been with me since I think November. I try to leave her alone quite a bit. I feel like it helps her confidence and she needs that experience to be the lead. There are plenty of times I'm in there and can give feedback as well.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-31-2020, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's interesting to hear how other places do it differently. When I was a student teacher, the cooperating teachers were still supposed to stay in the room, just not really intervene during my "solo hours." I wonder if there are rules too about a staff member being there to be responsible for the kids. Not sure.

Anyway, in actual experience, sometimes she would pop out (of the room, not the school) for short bursts, but in general she was in the room.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote