Help

BusyBoard

How to motivate students?

>

MissAgnes

How to motivate students?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so frustrated with my class this year, especially in math. I have about 5 that actually try, and a couple that are completely clueless are we are currently implementing interventions. The rest of them are completely apathetic. I teach a concept - first using manipulatives, then visually, then with numbers. Each lesson is I do We do You do. Half of them refuse to do the work for the "We do" piece, and then have no idea what to do when they are expected to practice individually. They will sit there and stare at the paper. When I prompt and help, they will do what I tell them to, but won't attempt anything on their own. They will not use tools/resources (interactive notebooks, etc.).
They don't care about grades. Nothing seems to motivate them.
I told them today that any work they do not finish they will stay in at recess on Friday and finish.
I don't know what to do!!!

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Friday is Too Far Away
Old 02-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

IMHO, Friday is too far away.

My suggestion would be to keep the children in today and any other day they lack motivation to complete assigned work.

I hope things improve for you.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I can't keep them in every day.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Even 1 day a week is pushing it. Admin doesn't like us to take recess away, and I really don't like to do it, either.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-03-2020, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is there a way you can get another teacher to take some of the kids out early? Those who are honestly trying to the best of their abilities? That way you're not taking away from the other kids, you're simply rewarding those who are finished early.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Free time
Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maybe have 20 mins of free time every day. The ones who don't work hard don't get to have free time.

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

MissAgnes
Old 02-03-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been having the same issues, even when they sit right next to me...I do the "play time" extra 10-15 min. for those who work. We are not permitted to take any recess away. Sometimes those that don't get the free play time remain oblivious.

Every day I give it another shot. Not certain all were given brain cells as they look up to the ceiling for answers to fall down. No problem solving skills, at computer, no headphones, I say you need to solve the problem, and I get a blank stare. No chair at their desk in the morning, but they watch the other kids stacking chairs at day end, still they will stand for as long as ever and not make a move to get their chair. I ignore and they just stand.

As they stare at my beautiful face for the answers, I tell them the answers are not on my beautiful face. Often, I place a sticky note on my forehead when they again gaze in my beauty for the solutions...I do get a giggle with the sticky, so there is something filling up those little skulls. Never a hand to ask or say I don't understand. I guess parents tell them teachers are mind-readers & they will do everything for you.

My heart bleeds for those that come every day and really struggle with disabilities, as well as those who come eager to please and do everything I ask of them. Very different world today.
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think there are kids who have given up on Math and think they canít do it. I wish we had the answer for you. Since you asked for advice, Iíll tell you what I do. Itís probably nothing new.

After I send the class to do independent work, I sit on the rug with a group that needs help. We work together. i break it down to simple little parts. I praise the heck out of anyone making an effort for any little part. Yes, Iím actually happy theyíre doing anything.
Keeping it positive, positive and high fiving or fist bumps when we finish an answer together. Iím building their confidence. They usually are the ones craving praise or positive attention. Eventually it turns around.

Itís about those relationships. Pick 1 or 2 kids each day to make sure to touch base with in a positive way like talking about their interests or their life. All kids like talking about themselves. Yes, this takes time and energy but itís worth it.

I bet you know all this and probably already do these things. If so, keep doing it. Thatís what works for me.

Itís hard but hang in there. PM me if you like. Hugs! Best of luck to you!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-03-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do what Ketchup(?) does. It does help.

Those who work at their desks are allowed to either move to stations or get an extreme dot to dot when they finish.

The others must stay with me until they finish. As they finish, they are gradually released to stations/extreme dot to dot (my 2nd graders love these).

Of course, some NEVER finish...that's my problem this year. Depending on the child (ADD/ADHD/trying/not trying), I will keep them in that very day to complete it or send it home in Thurs. folders marked "incomplete". I teach in an area where parents WILL have their child complete it and return it! I am very lucky in that regard.

I have also found stations/rotations work best for me. I work with 5 students at a time while the others rotate through (very meaningful, as I make them myself) math stations. They love this and I get to see exactly where every student is with their mathematical thinking.

Oh, another thing I do with unfinished work is to put it on their desk for a.m. work. Those who completed their work (and therefore have no a.m. work on their desks) move straight to the community circle area where I may have books out for them to read or math puzzles to put together or riddles to read or...the kids are their desks cannot come to the floor until their work in finished. This is highly motivating! What I have on the floor is MUCH more fun than their a.m. work!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I taught kids like that and I agree somewhat with ConnieWI. I always had a free time period after Math or any tough lesson. It was reserved for kids who made the effort on the work. Daily incentives work well. Teachers must go outside their comfort zone when dealing with difficulties. I had random free time periods and used a poker chip incentive system with older students. Needless to say I did not have a work ethic problem in my classes.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-03-2020, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I had random free time periods and used a poker chip incentive system with older students.
I'm always open to learning new tricks. Do you have time to share more about each of these? I would greatly appreciate it!

anna

Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had the freedom to call a free time period in my class without the admin judging negatively. As I saw that a free time was needed, I called it and those with some work on their paper got some time to play board games play cards,draw or read. Choice is important when planning incentives for kids.
I used the quiet rubber coated poker chips as a way to incentivize class participation and good behaviors.The classroom economy worked very well. I let the kids choose their chip from a basket when they earned one. On random days I had a spinner and the spinner was used to indicate the value of the colored chip. I would flick the spinner,it would stop on a dollar value and that was the value of a particular color. My students' parents were very supportive of this store and would donate stuff to keep the shop supplied. On holidays I would stock the shop with things the kids would want to get for their family members and let them wrap the gifts with paper and tape.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-03-2020, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you, Anna! I am lucky to teach in a school where I can manage my own classroom and give free time, as well.

ElizabethJoy

Reluctant students
Old 02-03-2020, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
After I send the class to do independent work, I sit on the rug with a group that needs help. We work together. i break it down to simple little parts. I praise the heck out of anyone making an effort for any little part. Yes, Iím actually happy theyíre doing anything.
That's what I did too when I had a class like Miss Agnes is describing. It worked really well!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

abc1234evr

"Fun Friday"
Old 02-06-2020, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have a fun project for those who are working and getting things done. I always do this on a Friday afternoon at the end of the day. Those who aren't done with work from the week will work on it at this time.
abc1234evr is offline   Reply With Quote