BusyBoard

Teaching for DOD

>

Missamy19

Teaching for DOD
Old 02-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
I am in the process of applying to teach for the DOD. Can anyone tell me what the process is like and how competitive it is? I have 10 years of teaching experience, a Master's Degree, and I am dual certified to teach Elementary Education and Special Education.
Thanks!
Amy

Missamy19 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-10-2020, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know someone who just did this. I cant tell you the process (but she did indicate it was extensive), but it sounds fascinating. Id love to hear more about it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Competitive
Old 02-10-2020, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe it is very competitive, especially for "desirable" locations, such as western Europe. However, if you are flexible and interested, go for it! Obviously some people are hired, and it could be you.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

DoD schools
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can't tell you much about the process as I haven't done it. But we are overseas now with Department of State and my DD will be attending the DOD school in the fall. They've already requested I apply for a sub job since it can take SIX MONTHS for your sub clearance to go through. It is a huge process applying to be a sub so I have to assume for a full time job it would be equally huge.

Special ed should give you a big jump!

I definitely encourage you to look at schools outside the normal Western Europe type positions. Our post is lovely, but not highly sought after. Living is good. We've spent 5 years so far overseas at 3 different posts. I am happy to PM if you want to learn more about life in general at these sorts of postings.

Have you thought of applying to international schools in general? Cities with US Embassies in particular (aka capitals) often have an American International School. For example, the one in Cairo (Cairo American College) is a great K-12 school--international staff, teaches US curriculum, has a mix of American, Egyptian and foreign kids.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Pretty competitive. Spouses of military members overseas (with teaching degrees) tend to get preference. Better chance if you apply to first teach in not so desirable locations. Teachers "put in their time" in places such as Guam or Korea (just off the top of my head-not sure what the less desirable places are, anymore) in order to then transfer over to places like Europe after x number of years. That's not to say you couldn't get England or Germany, but...

Like someone else said, may as well apply and you could be the one chosen!

I was a military spouse for 4 years in England and 4 more in Germany. I didn't teach full time, though, as I wanted to raise my children and take advantage of the travel opportunities. I did sub, however, and the process for subbing at that time was actually quick and easy.

Good luck and keep us posted! I'd love to head back overseas to live/work!
Best years of our lives!

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Missamy19

Thank you!
Old 02-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for commenting. I figured it would be pretty competitive. I actually wouldn't mind living in Guam. That's one of my top choices. I've been thinking I wouldn't mind started at one of the DOD schools in the US and then going overseas. I am almost finished with my application. Wish me luck!
Missamy19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-16-2020, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My previous teammate was interested in this as her husband is military. She seemed to think it was incredibly competitive (sped teacher too). Due to our district test scores and the stupid formula they use, it's pretty impossible to earn "highly effective" in my district on our state rating system. She was very convinced this was going to keep her from getting a DOD job, even though as far as I know most other states don't use that system/it may not be well known. That said, she was obsessive about these things and would often make mountains out of molehills in her mind, so she could have just been overreacting. Her husband ended up getting assigned to a different US state and she is now teaching there.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote