The VENT

Going to Admin vs Going to Teacher

>

iaoi

iaoi

Going to Admin vs Going to Teacher
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A team member shared that one of her parents was asking about one of our specials teacher, saying things like she (parent) heard the teacher is mean, pulls kids, and yells at them.# Parent did say her child is sensitive. Classroom teachers are required to be present at this special and I do NOT think this happens as the mother thinks it is. My co-worker, who is actually a resource teacher but is taking over this class for the year, told the parent she could go to admin with her concerns. I understand and totally agree that the classroom teacher should not get in the middle of this or speak for the specials teacher. However, I do think she should have told the parent to speak to the specials teacher first instead of recommending going straight to admin. It kind of bothered me so after school I brought it up with my team member and threw out that idea as a ‘maybe next time, as a professional colleague courtesy….’ explaining that I hate it when parents go straight to admin instead of coming to me first.

I don’t think my colleague got it because she kept saying, if any parent tells her things, she always refers them to admin. She then said she already told our AP. Yikes! So I asked, as a courtesy if she was going to let the specials teacher know so she can do something about it, talk to the kid, etc. My colleague said that was a thought but I don’t have hopes of it happening.

It just makes me sad that we have teachers willing to tattle on each other, instead of having each others backs and helping each other out. But that is par for the course at our school now, with our resource team constantly jumping to conclusions (always false), tattling to admin (for nothing), and admin getting mad at classroom teachers. Sigh.

whiteturtle

Old 02-14-2020, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When you mentioned that the parent heard this teacher "pulls" kids, that would be a red flag for me. If I thought someone was being abusive to students, in good faith (unless I knew better), I feel my obligation is to the students first. I likely would have suggested that the parent talk to the teacher first and if she wasn't satisfied, she should talk to the administration.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
mds2

mds2

Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do believe this is an administrative issue rather than a go to the teacher issue for the very reason that no teacher is going to look at a parent and say, "Yes, I am abusive to the children. I am harsh to them, I pull their arms, and I yell at them." It is irrelevant if they really do or not because those that do will never admit it if it is a habitual state of being for that teacher and part of that teacher's nature.

So, what would be the point to go to the teacher. For the teacher to either blame the child or just flat out claim the child is making things up and is misreading everything. Problems like this take an intermediary. That is the administrator.

Plus, we all know that teachers like this exist. There was one in my local elementary school. The entire community knew because when they would volunteer they would hear her yelling at the kids all the time. I can tell you that she damaged many children with her behavior.

I say in situations like that "go to the admin" is the correct response. If you are talking about work not getting done or difference in homework policies, that is a different matter all together. This is teacher behavior towards students, not classroom policy.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 02-14-2020, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am with you. If the teacher had kids one on one then this could possibly be true but since she doesn’t how could it only be “parent who talk and gossip” that know this is going in and not the teachers who are in the room when this teacher teaches.

This teacher is never alone with students so this is likely to be nonsense so for a teacher to not have professional courtesy and not even do HER JOB to tell the parent all the facts, well, I would watch my back around this person and I would not trust them at all.

In this situation this is what I would have said-

"Mrs. Smith, I dont think you have anything to worry about. Snowflake is never alone with specials teachers so they dont discipline them outside of my per vue and since I will be with her and have her best interest at heart you dont have to worry that Mrs. Jones will upset snowflake or be overly harsh to her. It is a shame that someone has given you misinformation to cause you to worry, or in the very least wasn't straight forward with you about how specials are handled-we teachers are always there for our students in music class. I do think it might be worth it for you to talk to Mrs. Jones directly as well and ask her about her discipline policy and share with her your concerns about how snowflake would react to discipline since she is so sensitive. I'll be there in every class but it might also be helpful to her a heads up and some background information on snowflake so that she is aware of snowflakes needs."

And if I was close or friendly with the specials teacher I might give them a heads up, or at the very least let them know that they might want to go to your team mate and ask if they have anything they need to share as there may be a potential issue brewing and you want to make sure that your team mate is communicating with her.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 02-14-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I am 100% with Kindercrazy on this.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And you too, OP. We have enough problems as teachers than to have to deal with backstabbing busy bodies who do not have the fortitude to ask the teacher what happened.
1x I had a specials teacher report that I had said something that was not true. Her source of information? An emotionally disturbed child who had gotten what was said totally mixed up.
She got everyone involved from the P to sped, to another teacher.
I invited the P to come in and ask the kids what was said and he immediately knew the kid had either lied or totally misconstrued something. He let it be known. The specials teacher did actually apologize and I think she may have meant it. IDK...
I still to this day have a hard time dealing w/ that woman. I thought I'd forgiven the hoopla, but w/ the emotions it brings back to me now, I am afraid I have not. I need to sing, " Let it go!" a few times now...lol

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 02-16-2020, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Kinderkr4zy is right. Parent should have been set straight about how there is always another teacher present with the specials teacher and that the parent had been misinformed about the discipline in that class. Colleague should never have recommended that the parent go see the admin.

Honestly, your colleague is a jerk.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote