School Mental Health

Insights Please

>

Turtle19

Insights Please
Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am a teacher of a combined grade 1-2 class taking a Self-Regulated Inquiry and Learning course. This course has encouraged me as a professional to further reflect on goal-setting and the important role it has on self-regulated learning (SRL). SRL is an intricate process, one that requires direct teaching and modeling to students.

Because of the high social-emotional needs in my class, I am focusing on helping students to set goals that will help manage their big emotions. I have a student diagnosed with ADHD. She breaks down into tears when we make changes to our classroom (eg. moving desks or new arrangement in group seating). There is also another student who is not diagnosed, but has extreme difficulties focusing; whether itís listening or engaging in a task. He often wanders the classroom talking to himself. Iím reaching out with hopes of receiving feedback that will help me navigate through this process.

Questions I have:
1) Children with ADHD and sensory processing issues have a hard time self-regulating. What are some strategies and resources that you recommend?
2) Should I be looking at making changes to the physical environment of the classroom itself, eg. changing lighting? Any other modifications for students with sensory issues?

Thank you for your time!

Turtle19 is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-14-2020, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Look up CHADD (Children and Adults with ADD,ADHD) online. Theyíre an excellent resource.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

The students are probably already telling
Old 02-14-2020, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you what they need but you need to recognize it and modify as necessary.

Say, for example. your ADHD student stands frequently and/or paces... He may need that. He may need to be in the back or at the end of a row in a taller desk that allows standing. If the pacing bothers you or other students, teach him to limit himself. Use electric tape to make a box on the floor or a path or similar where he is allowed to move. 'you can aslso make up errands for him. Arrange a code word with a fellow teacher or secretary. "Johnnie, please carry this bundle of "pigeon" books to Mrs. XX." That person hears pigeon and accepts them nicely and he returns to your room. Next time he gets restless, have him go get it back.

Anyway, all that to say that most kids have "tells" built in. If they are within acceptabe limits, work with them. If not, try to find a "replacement behavior" that is more acceptable to you. You can Google replacement behaviors for more information.

Good luck.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You've gotten some great advice already! I will add a few links here:

Understood.org https://www.understood.org/en has some great resources for ADHD and sensory issues

ADDitude Mag also has some great downloads- including many that have potential accommodations : https://www.additudemag.com/download/ (I often share the "30 Great Accommodations" download with teachers and parents). https://www.additudemag.com/teaching...nts-with-adhd/ another helpful link

I also recommend using whatever social-emotional learning curriculum you have in your school. If you don't have one, Zones of Regulation is one that gets used a lot here (lots of information other people have created online for that program).

You should definitely be making some changes. LottaLove made such a good point- if you watch your students and when they are frustrated and what they do to relieve that frustration, you likely already know what accommodations might be most helpful. Some seek out sensory input and some try to avoid it. Without knowing what specific sensory issues your students have, it's hard to make specific recommendations.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Turtle19

Old 02-15-2020, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I appreciate the suggestion of taping out an area for the student to walk in...I've never thought of this before! I will peruse through the websites and have a further look at zones of regulation. Thanks so much for your insights!

Turtle19 is offline   Reply With Quote