Help

First Grade

child won't do work

>

dusty

child won't do work
Old 02-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What can I do with a child who will not do their work, especially during writer's workshop or reading time. The child is very capable and the work is not too hard or too easy. Consequences have not made a difference and neither has positive reinforcement or minimizing the work expectations. The child will just sit there and not do it or disturb the other students by making loud noises, sitting under the desk, or drawing on the floor with crayons.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-14-2020, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Unfortunately, what to do about work avoidance depends totally on why the child is avoiding work. If you can't get the student to explain their reasons, try to get the counselor involved.

(Oh, and take away the crayons!)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I had a student who behaved that way
Old 02-15-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This was years ago. The little boy had been abused and abandoned. The principal and I decided that he was dealing with the garbage in his life the most positive way possible. With what he had been through, I would have expected worse. I allowed him to sit under his desk, but worked with him whenever I had the time to sit by him and guide him. By the end of the year, he had come out from under the desk and was doing work much more appropriately. It was a long process involving much patience and consistency.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 02-22-2020, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few years ago, I had a boy who sounds very similar to your kiddo, including sitting under his desk and making noises. I finally figured out that his biggest problem was getting started with just about everything.

I decided to spend a few minutes helping him get going for each task. We would write one sentence together, read one page together, do a couple of math problems together, etc. Then I would tell him I'll be back in __ minutes and I want to see 1 more sentence, 3 more math problems, etc. I gradually increased the time between check-ins. If I was doing reading groups, I'd have him bring his paper or book to me when he finished a certain amount. He didn't miraculously become an independent worker, but he did improve quite a bit from where he started, which was doing nothing. We had an agreement that he could sit under his desk at work-time if and only if he was doing his work and not bothering other kids.

Hope this helps.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 02-23-2020, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The last student I had that did that was diagnosed with Autism.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote