Help

Third Grade

Read aloud question

>

FLTeach73

Read aloud question
Old 05-22-2016, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone, I an new to teaching third grade next year and I have question. The "How to Eat Fried Worms" thread go me thinking. When you do a chapter book like that, do you just read it aloud, or does everyone have their own copy of the book? Do you have the kids read aloud too? Thanks in advance for any help. Third grade is a jump from first grade!

FLTeach73 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-22-2016, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just read aloud. It would be unrealistic to try to get a copy for each kid in the class.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-22-2016, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it's just for enjoyment, I have my kids put their heads down and relax while I read aloud. They do not have a copy. If it's a novel study and I am giving
any kind of quiz on it, I have them read it a chapter at a time silently. Then I reread the chapter out loud. Then we discuss. This is for second grade and chapter books are still kind of new to them.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 05-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just read aloud. Some kids enjoyed following along when I read "Charlotte's Web" because I had enough copies, but I didn't make them follow along.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read Aloud
Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Normally I just read the book aloud to them to work on listening comprehension and have fun. However, I have had them follow along with their own copy at times if the story is very visual like Punished by David Lubar.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

read aloud
Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on if I'm actually teaching skills or just letting them listen for enjoyment and comprehension. If I have a class set, I tend to pull skills from it. If not, I use it as a read aloud at the end of the day. That being said, MANY times when I'm doing a read aloud, the students will get copies of the book from our school library if they have it, so they can follow along as I'm reading. Others prefer to just sit and listen. I guess it depends on their learning style.

I don't have the students read aloud if we're whole group and reading a book - mainly because it's hard for the rest of the class to focus. I save the oral reading for shorter passages and questions.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

When I taught third grade
Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I sometimes read chapter books aloud while the kids relaxed after recess or PE. Sometimes I used chapter books in my guided reading groups. Then I would have the kids read a few pages silently, and then we would discuss the content or pull some skills out of it to work on.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I actually don't read aloud chapter books, I read picture books. I read both fiction and non fiction and then have a basket where I put the books I read aloud. Those are the most read books in my classroom (and I have a huge classroom library) because they're accessible to all. That was an idea I got from a class, and after having done it for many years, I think it's a fantastic idea.

In addition to doing the above, this year, for something different, we listened to the cd version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had a copy for each student and they followed along. The man who reads the story does all different voices and listening to the story this way is incredible. The kids really loved having their own copy and it all went really well. It was our favorite time of the day. I'm definitely going to do it again next year.

Welcome to third grade!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTeach73

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for the replies, everyone! They were all very helpful.
FLTeach73 is online now   Reply With Quote

BMc

how long?
Old 05-26-2016, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Beagles2-how long did it take you to listen to the Harry Potter book?
I like the idea of listening to a CD!

BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Read a Louds
Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My read- a- louds vary - when we are using a Magic Tree house non fiction guide, I am lucky enough to have a class set of 2 different ones, then they all follow as I read and we stop to discuss often. (My class has 20 students and only 5 are gen.ed.)
The books I read at the end of the day are usually chapter books, and we keep a list of main characters and what we learn about each ones as the story line goes on. They love to add information to the list of characters and I love when I hear them try and use the new vocabulary they are hearing.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Re: listening to Harry Potter
Old 05-29-2016, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I tried to listen to a chapter every other day but some of the chapters are really long, so I just devoted 25 minutes 3x per week to listening. It took a few months, but since the whole class (and me!) loved that part of the day and really looked forward to it, it was worth it.

Now there are Harry Potter coloring books with really neat pictures, so I've also copied some of those and have them in the room for kids to color, and they're loving them.

In addition, there are many HP freebies on TpT, including some bookmarks saying "I love Harry Potter" that I printed out for kids to use.

After we listened to Sorcerer's Stone, the class begged me to listen to Chamber of Secrets. The problem is, I don't have copies of that one for each student. I suggested they go to the library or search for books at Goodwill, and I gave them 3 weeks to get their own book before I started playing the second book. I also copied a bunch of the coloring sheets to have out, so some kids could color as they listened, and devoted a bulletin board in my room to their pictures. In my class, this hasn't worked out nearly as well as when they were all following along in the book. Only about 4 kids (out of 28) are following along in a book; the rest are coloring or drawing. And although it's quiet, I can tell that some kids aren't even listening. So for me, having copies of the book is the way to go. I got mine by asking other teachers if they had any they no longer wanted (some did!), scouring Goodwill, and getting some off Ebay for cheap. I didn't keep track of how much I spent, but it wasn't even 1/4 of what I'd have paid for all new books. Each student kept theirs in a Ziplock baggie in their desk so they remained in good shape for next year.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

Thanks Beagles2!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you for giving such great information about listening to a recorded book. For some reason, using this source for a novel never entered my wheelhouse! I think I might try it!
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote