Help

ESL/LEP

Ell Para

>

elepen

Ell Para
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to the district and have an Ell para. She has been there over 8 years and has been allowed to run the program in the building. The teacher in charge was in another building so she had minimal supervision. We work in the same room and at first it was good but in the last few months it has become very difficult. She has become very blunt in her comments, bringing up things over and over again. Making me feel like the students only learn and produce when she teaches them. At the beginning of the year I told her we were a team and would sit down and discuss students, basing our instruction on data results. We used to go to lunch, laugh and talk but not now. She is very moody. I know she has a lot going on, financial problems, husband working far away etc.
Everyone has an off day but everyday is not being professional. School is almost over and I am already dreading working with her next year. My position is to be in charge of the program in the district so I go in all the buildings but mostly I am with her everyday.
Any advice. Thankyou

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm wondering
Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is she teaching in the same room you are and making these comments in front of the students?

It sounds like there are multiple buildings (or two at least). If you are in charge, how about arranging her schedule so you do not overlap often.

Rather than having both of you together you can double up on the students and meet their various needs at various times.

She seems quite fond of her skills and you might let her know that she can proceed more independently. If she isn't teaching well, that's another matter and needs to be addressed with administration.

Being in a funk for several month is not good for her or you. If things must stay as they are, here's hoping her life gets better over the summer.

Have you suggested she talk to a doctor about her apparent depression?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you Broomrider for your post. Yes we share the same room. I try to do a lot of push in to classes during the day and that helps. No she doesn't make those comments in front of students. I am hoping she has a good summer and next year is better. The beginning of this year was great but the end hasn't been.
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote