Help

ESL/LEP

HELP! ELL Student with minimal support

>

lilbraunbe29

HELP! ELL Student with minimal support
Old 08-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am a new 6th teacher in a small school with minimal ell support and I have a spanish speaking student with minimal english knowledge and I'm concerned about the lack of support and how to include this young man in our class without completely overwhelming him! The "ELL Teacher" is also the Spanish teacher so only has 45 mins to provide ELL time. Other than that I'm on my own. I think this is going to be a great learning opportunity for my students and myself, but I just don't want this kiddo to be super overwhelmed or miss out on an entire year of learning. My principal is really not a lot of help beyond trying to find times for this student to have extra computer time. I do have access to Ipads, so if you know of any great apps that would be helpful! Also, I have this student in my homeroom which means he'll be in my class for Language, Reading, and Science, then have Math and Social Studies wiht other teachers. I know Spanish, but it's super duper rusty and some textbooks have SPanish versions of worksheets/study guides. Is that helpful to provide or does it hinder the English Language learning process?

If any of you have some great ideas/activities/websites that would be helpful for this student I'd really love to hear! Thanks!!!!

lilbraunbe29 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do give your student access to any Spanish versions you have so he and his parents are able to know what is going on.

I'm hoping that he has been in school and has a fairly rich background on which to draw. Some students enter later grades as their first school experience and that makes a huge difference in background knowledge.

Do any of your other students speak or understand Spanish? Those children can buddy up and translate. Any of your Spanish will be welcomed by him as well. You can explore and learn/recall each other's language together.

You'll want to use lots of pictures to support your lessons (that'll be good for the other students as well) along with gestures/mime to support instruction.

You might want to try http://www.colorincolorado.org/

www.esl-kids.com

http://a4esl.org

http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/about/ links to info, articles and blogs

Dave's ESL Cafe (google that one)
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote