Help

ESL/LEP

Anyone ever feel like...

>

SportingKC

Anyone ever feel like...
Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like I'm a horrible ESL teacher. I am certified, but I'm not fluent in Spanish (which I know that I don't need to be). However, to communicate with families, it would be good if I could speak Spanish.

I have a fairly outdated curriculum, and zero budget for updating or PD. I've observed in another school, but their population is significantly different than mine.

I am starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better if I went back into the general education classroom (which I loved, and felt confident about) and left an ESL opening for my district to hire someone a bit more qualified.

Am I just feeling sorry for myself because I have 6 weeks of testing coming up, or should I step back and leave this job for someone a bit better qualified.

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Me too
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I often feel inadequate because I don't speak Spanish - at all. It would be lovely to have direct conversations with my families. My plan is to take a spanish class this summer.

I fell into my position because apparently I am the only one around with the licensure. I have no set curriculum, I pretty much follow what the other language arts teachers are doing and support my students by pre-teaching or re-teaching those concepts with scaffolding, etc.

I'm sure you're a great teacher and are just second guessing yourself right now. If you're still feeling like this in a few weeks it might be time for a change. How difficult would it be to move back to general ed?

As far as PD, have you looked into National Board Certification? It's changed the way I look at teaching and made me a more effective teacher for my ELD kids. It really helps you see the positive impact you are making.

6 weeks of testing? Wow! You can do it! Summer's almost here!
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does it make you feel better to know that I'm reasonably fluent in Spanish, but still feel like I'm failing my students because half of them speak Vietnamese and I can't figure out a word of that? (Seriously, it's a good day if I can pronounce their names without them laughing because I messed up the intonation and accidentally called them a sofa or something.) And even if I learned Vietnamese, we have a student who speaks Nepali, a family whose native language is Kirundi--which I'd never even heard of before meeting this family--a handful of Arabic speakers, etc. etc. etc. I speak 4 languages if you include English, but none of those is on that list! It simply isn't reasonable for anyone, including--or maybe especially--you, to expect you to speak all your students' native languages.

I don't feel entirely qualified to give you advice; I'm not a real ESL teacher, just a long-term sub and not even technically certified yet (I'm not totally unqualified! I've done all the work, but am still waiting for the paperwork to go through). But I definitely know that not speaking Spanish is not a reason to change jobs. Not enjoying teaching ESL, though, might be...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much for your help. I'm think I'm just getting to the point where I'm realizing that this may not me where my passion lies. I'm going to talk to my principal tomorrow and see where to go from here.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

kamino8

Old 09-08-2012, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I´ve just joined to this page. Maybe it´s too late and you´ve already made a decission.Teaching a foreign language will depend on your students´age and the hours you have to teach them. A basic knowledge of Spanish might be enough if your passion lies in the enviorment of your school, the proximity to your home, the salary... Use a textbook and search for worksheets in the Internet. And if you are not too far i might go to your classroom (no,not really in summer maybe) Cheer up!!

kamino8 is offline   Reply With Quote