Help

ESL/LEP

confused???? Need help

>

monteverde199

confused???? Need help
Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach ESL in grades K-5 pull-out. I know I am supposed to teach the Language of Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies. The classroom teachers have the textbooks for all those subjects and the students are learning the language in context. I can write down all the words that they are studying in each chapter but the words will then not be in context. We do not have spare textbooks for each subject for me to use in my classroom. I feel like Im having to create my own textbook to use in my class for every grade I teach. The classroom teachers at least have a textbook and work book as a guide. I dont have anything.

I feel like I need to go to every grade and find the vocabulary being studied in the new standards. Then I need to go and find library books, or books online that have similiar vocab in them and then create lessons from scratch.

Am I going about this the wrong way? There isnt enough hours in a day to create my own textbook like materials to use in K-5th grades.

Anyone have any suggestions?

monteverde199 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have access to online textbooks? Our math and reading series provides teacher's editions online that I use rather than trying to track it down myself.

I also have an ESL curriculum...that is aligned to the state ESL standards. Financially I'm not sure if that is a possibility in your district, but you should at least ask....cause all they can say is no. And then you're no worse off then are you now.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

Do you have to
Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have to teach from textbooks? Kids usually get bored quickly with those anyway. I don't know if you have access to National Geographic magazines, but those are a wonderful resource for Science and Social Studies vocabulary. We weren't given much $ this year, but at one of my schools I was given $100. I spent that on 2 subscriptions to National Geographic (for 2 different age groups). It has been a great success! The children love the pictures and articles and are learning lots of vocabulary that they actually remember because they loved the articles so much. We use National Geographic's website a lot as well to see pictures and video for the topics we discuss. At my other school, they have back issues of NG in the level-text library.
If you search online, you can find lots of good things to use. There is a website that I like that is actually for Language Arts, but the passages there can be used for vocabulary enrichment as well. The site is www.readworks.org. It's free to join. Another good site, though it does cost to join, is www.brainpop.com. It has a jr. version and an ESL version as well.
I use my local library a lot as well. Books, magazines, and other resources there can be helpful to you.
I hope some of this helps.
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

monteverde199

Online textbooks
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Becca,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out online textbooks and see what is available.
Thanks for your help.

monteverde199

Resources
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

RaceFan 18
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I will definately check out all that you recommended. I just feel like Im not accomplishing anything. Teachers let me know that "Johnny" is having trouble with this vocabulary or that. I dont have the resources that they have to do anything with the vocabulary that they suggest.

Im just frustrated.....

Thanks again.

elltch

Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't focus on textbooks. I think if you build a strong guided reading program and included vocabulary development into it, that will be what strengthens your student's reading skills, and in turn get them closer to ON grade level. As far as content vocabulary, as a pull out teacher, the key is having close communication with the classroom teachers, which can be challanging. For me, I would always send out an email at the beginning of the week asking for the essential vocabulary for next weeks Science/SS lesson. I'd take those vocabulary terms (no more than 10) and I'd create vocabulary cards with a visual representation, perhaps a very short definition. I'd give the new vocab list to my students each Monday and we'd go over the words and their meanings. I wanted them to have exposure to the words BEFORE they heard them in class. That way they'd have some background knowledge as to what the teacher was explaining and could even participate more during those classroom discussions. That is always great to see. It really requires close communication with the teachers. I'd be happy to share an example of my cards. You could use the template if you'd like.
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote