Help

ESL/LEP

HS ELL- Kindergarten equivalent- HELP!

>

teenie14

HS ELL- Kindergarten equivalent- HELP!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new HS student this year who hasn't been in school for the last 2 years. His native language is Spanish and can fluently read and write in Spanish as well. I have him most of the day; however, one of his classes is an ELL Study Skills with me. This was a last minute decision made by the counselor and principal. I haven't had time to create a curriculum and I don't necessarily want to just fill the time with random activities learning letters/numbers, I would like some kind of structure.

Any ideas about a text that would be a good choice for him. He is in sophomore classes, but can't understand a thing. He needs to work on basics: letter sounds, numbers greater than 10, common phrases used throughout the school/life. The list goes on. Any suggestions welcome!! Thanks!

teenie14 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use Shining Star for middle schoolers. The red book--I think it's Level A--is the one for newcomers. I don't teach HS, but I think it would probably be appropriate for that age as well.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Work on oral vocabulary first
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

then move into literacy (even though everyone who works with him wants him to read NOW).

You might check out Making Content Comprehensible for English Language Learners.
Here's a great summary of the thick book:
http://www.misd.net/bilingual/ELL.pdf

you might also check the website colorincolorado--support for Spanish first language students.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

klmjack

Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am an ESL elementary teacher. A "text" that I have used with much success is the Newcomer Phonics book - there is an elementary level and an older level text. It teaches phonics/vocab/phrases, etc. in a structured and straightforward manner. Also, for ways to get talking, I love the high-interest, low level books I found on Amazon. One is Very Easy True Stories.
klmjack is offline   Reply With Quote