Help

ESL/LEP

Classroom Management Ideas

>

Royals92

Classroom Management Ideas
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need help with classroom management strategies for ESL students! I am in a pre-k classroom, and it is often difficult finding the right thing to say to the students who do not speak or understand English well. I do not want to say "no" to them, but I am finding it hard to find other ways to correct them so that they understand. Maybe a behavior chart with pictures would be a good tool, but I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions of strategies or things that I can say, that would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Royals92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Visual tools are good
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your idea of a behavior chart with pictures is great! Having a visual behavior chart with pictures of students doing the right thing and rewarding the positive behaviors will go along way. I would also add a visual calendar/schedule so students know what to expect during the day. Having a predictable schedule will help too. When the schedule is changed for some reason, be sure to prepare the students.
Don't forget to model or role play appropriate behaviors and use supportive vocabulary such as please and thank you.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote