ESL/LEP

Longitude and Latitude

>

Elise331

Longitude and Latitude
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

I am sure we can get really creative with teaching this bc I feel like it could get very visual, which is good - perfect for the learners I have; but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any good ideas or has used something that was really effective in teaching longitude and latitude in their classroom?

I am teaching a small group of 4th grade ESL/Special Ed students next week. It is a short lesson on Longitude and Latitude. Some ideas I have so far is using a paper plate to demonstrate how the lines work and making it foldable. Also, showing a mini cartoon movie from Brain Pop on the topic, to be extra visual. Anyone have any other ideas/creative ways of getting the point across? The ESL students in the group are high intermediate, but they all have special needs, and many of them lose focus very quickly/easily.

Thanks so much!

Elise331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Here's a kinesthetic activity
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could use this activity for noting significant lines of latitude. http://geography.about.com/od/teachg...sslatitude.htm

I've always thought of longitude as the long lines and latitude as the lines that are different lengths. This helped me remember which is which.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise331

Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thank you so so much! this will work great
Elise331 is offline   Reply With Quote