Help

Daily 5

Math 3

>

colorbywords

Math 3
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you do the math daily 3, and only have 2 rotations.. how do you work it?

Do you have 1 must do and then they can pick from the other 2 for the other rotation?

Would it be better to do 3 shorter rotations so everyone does all 3 every day?

I have 90 minutes so I can do like..

10 min lesson
18 min rotation 1
10 min lesson
18 min rotation 2
10 min lesson
18 minutes rotation 3
5 min share

Or...

10 min lesson
25 min rotation 1
10 min lesson
25 min rotation 2
10 min lesson
5 min share

But then I'm not sure how to do the 3 things during 2 rotations? Which one is a must do? Would you plan daily for "math by myself" and then have the same activities for math with someone and math writing for a few days?

I also want to include an interactive notebook so trying to figure out how to incorporate that.. thinking I'll just do notebook mondays or something??

colorbywords is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Math Daily 3/ workshop hybrid
Old 07-05-2016, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

colorbywords-
I tried to implement Math Daily 3 with fidelity (as much as possible with required math series); however, found that it a bit difficult to work everything in during my instructional schedule (had about 75-80 minutes for math, depending upon day- also have to include intervention/ enrichment).
My solution was to split my math into whole class and small group time. I also started using the M.A.T.H. management system (discovered on pinterest) two years ago and have had AMAZING success with it. (This workshop organization is VERY similar to Daily 3 and allows for flexibility and integration of math series.)
We complete M.A.T.H. Mon-Thurs. (Friday is whole class or partner review and weekly quiz/ chapter test.)

We dedicate 30 minutes to whole class- focus skill, guided practice, and interactive notebook/ problem of day. 45-50 minutes is small group/ Daily 3 time- ( independent practice, math games, math task cards, math choice assignments, computerized practice, etc.). While I pull 3 small groups, students complete "Math by Myself" first (usually an independent practice sheet, practice problems from textbook, or spiral review sheet- this activity is either reviewed/ spot checked during small group or submitted to our assignment bin to hold students accountable) and then have one other required activity for "My with Someone"- usually a review game, enrichment page, or extension assignment/ mastery check from small group lesson. "Write About Math" is usually a performance task, computerized practice, or interactive notebook activity, for which students are permitted to work with a partner about half of the time.
I do not require students to focus on only ONE activity during each rotation. Some students finish 2 activities during one rotation or complete one and begin another.
We typically have 3-5 minute share time at the end of rotations or have a few minutes to play small group/ whole class math games as reward- if students have followed small group time norms or in order to celebrate a math break-through, etc. (math vocabulary charades and dice games are favorites!)
Hope this makes sense and is helpful!
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

colorbywords

Old 07-09-2016, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! I'm going to look up the math system!

Can you share more of your whole group math games?
colorbywords is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

whole group math games
Old 07-11-2016, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

These are dice games, card games, Kahoot (5-10 questions), 24, math vocabulary charades, math vocabulary dictionary, or smart board games.

I have 1-2 dice games or card games that I've discovered for each of our BIG skills.
Laura Candler's site has a few of them (multiplication roll 'em, Area and Perimeter Conquer, Place Value War/ Staircase, Fraction War). If you google math dice/ card games you'll find several resources.
24 is a card game that helps the student practice order of operations- can be purchased on amazon.
Math vocabulary charades/ pictionary are simply a bag of our math vocabulary words from which students choose randomly and then either act out or draw- depending upon game we're playing.
We usually play boys vs. girls, class vs. teacher, or play with partners (if applicable) but all at the same time - if the game has already been introduced.

The students are told at the beginning of block that we'll work on earning game time if I see smart choices, productive partner work, and best effort on independent work. If goals are met, I typically choose a game that corresponds with a skill I want to review or a game I'd like to introduce to the class that will be reviewed in small group in subsequent days and then added to our math games choices.
Also, I've found that if one of the students has persevered or shown great improvement, allowing him/her to choose the math game we play that day REALLY makes them feel special

Hope this helps!
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote