Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Departmentalized and Pencils

>

TheGr8Catsby

Departmentalized and Pencils
Old 05-15-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm moving from self-contained 2nd to team teaching 6th next year (with ONE other teacher). My team teacher has tables, and I'm pretty sure she does community pencils.

I will have desks, and they will not typically be in groups. What is a pencil management system I can use if my partner (who my kids will have for about half the day) does community pencils. In my self-contained class, everyone had their own. They could buy one with points if they needed one (but I would trade out for free if it was just worn). I didn't just give out pencils, and I saved a lot of money this year on pencils. Lol.

I'm not completely against attaching a small cup or basket to the desk to put in two pencils, but it's not my favorite idea.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Pencil cases
Old 05-15-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Each child gets a number. Number is written with sharpie on pencils. Pencil case is carried. They only use their own pencils. I wouldnít share any supplies, not with the way things are today.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-18-2020, 12:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in 5th grade, so I would still do this in 6th grade: I don't manage pencils. They are responsible for having a pencil. How they achieve that is up to them - bring their own, take from the extra supplies can (which is filled with pencils I collect from the floor), borrow from a friend, etc.

If they say, "I don't have a pencil," I respond, "That's a bummer. What are you going to do?" If they say, "Will you give me a pencil?" I respond, "I don't have any to give out. What else could you do?"

How they choose to keep them is also up to them, within reason. I don't allow giant pencil boxes/bags that are overflowing with supplies.

I'm not sure how this will work next year, but I do know that I do not intend to be responsible for 5th graders' supplies. They will just have to learn to be responsible that much faster.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 05-18-2020, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dis exactly what Gromit suggested when I taught 6th departmentalized: everyone is responsible for having one and I donít care how that happens. Most kids have a pencil box/pouch of some kind that travels with them. If they donít have one, they often borrowed from a friend. I also had an extra pencil cup that was filled with lost pencils I found, or occasionally Iíd put out a few if I had them on hand. It always worked out and very rarely did anyone ever say they didnít have a pencil.

Seems like with the virus, everyone should be doing away with community supplies anyway, so maybe your problem will go away on its own.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 05-18-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do the same as Grommit. Students are responsible for their own pencil. I have a few to lend but rarely do. For the most part itís not an issue. I donít think community supplies are a great idea right now so you may not have to concern yourself with that piece in the fall.

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote