Future Teachers

First day advice

>

Ml2020

Ml2020

First day advice
Old 02-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I am a student teacher who is set to graduate in 2021. I was wondering if anyone has advice on first day procedures, what to expect, how to act, or just general advice/experience. I will be in an Elementary classroom, thank you!

Teacherbee_4

Ask
Old 06-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You will probably start with teachers, not the students. If for some reason you don't, I would suggest contacting your cooperating teacher ahead of time and see if he/she needs help setting up the room, wants to meet, etc. When you are with your cooperating teacher, I would honestly ask what they expect of you, especially in the beginning. Are they comfortable with you helping when students have a question? Are they comfortable with you redirecting students while the teacher is instructing if a student is day dreaming? During group work, do they want you to walk around and help out in groups? Before you are fully in charge, how do they want you to handle behavior issues? Use their management system or just let the teacher know? When you bring up this, I'd say that you are excited to help and learn and be there, but you don't want to step on anyone's toes.

My best advice is to do more over less. However, with that in mind, when doing "more", still remember that you are a GUEST in the classroom and don't step on toes. If you aren't sure how the teacher would like something done, ask, instead of students what you think. Don't build off or jump into the teacher's lessons, at least not in the beginning. Later on when/if you are co-teaching, it might be fine, but at least in the beginning don't. If a behavior issue comes up and you aren't sure how the cooperating teacher would react, express your disappointment without giving consequences or lecturing. Then talk to your cooperating teacher and see how he or she wants you to handle it, if he/she wants to handle it, or if he/she thinks it's best to be ignored.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsCummins

First Day Procedures
Old 06-14-2020, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Ml2020,

I am also set to graduate soon but I am a paraprofessional right now and from experience with other first year teachers, DO NOT OVERSTEP! You are the newbie and need to remember that although you are a teacher, there are seasoned teachers that know a lot more than you do about everything. Now, don't let anyone make you feel less than, but I know from experience, seasoned teachers despise nothing more than a "know it all" rookie teacher.
MrsCummins is offline   Reply With Quote