Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Elar

>

MissESL

Elar
Old 06-03-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Weíve just been told that we will be combining language arts and literature into one 45-minute class period.
We have always had two separate classes for language arts and literature.
Does anyone have any suggestions, models, websites, etc. that can help me fit two full curriculums into one small class period?
I have the freedom to do what I want as long as I can prove that I am covering common core standards.
Thank you!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-04-2020, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade?

We combined reading (information text & reading skills) with language arts (grammar, writing, literature, public speaking) into one class many years ago. I basically just teach the reading and writing skills and grammar through both literary and informational text.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 06-04-2020, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

7th and 8th. I don’t know why I didn’t think to include that!

Mshope

All
Old 06-16-2020, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We only have one ELA class. Really, it's not enough time to do everything we need to do.
I try to set up a routine. Like do a grammar warm-up MWF and on T/TH do editing. If we are doing a short story, I try to start it on Monday and squeeze in some vocabulary. We really don't give homework so the reading of the story takes up a lot of the class. Then finish story and do an activity based on objectives. Then review and assessment. I try to do some sort of wrap up activity like an exit slip or something.

I like Common Lit as a free resource. ReadWriteThink is one my coworker uses a lot. Kids like online activities like Kahoot and Quizlet.

I also find a lot of free things on Teachers Pay Teachers. With the CC, we try to work in some NF articles and there are a lot of those online.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

MsHope
Old 06-16-2020, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you I will look at Common Lit! I have been thinking a lot about this and I have some things I have come up with...
- pulling my spiraling bell ringer out again. I got it off TPT a couple years ago and I like it a lot, and I think it would be a good way to stick that grammar/editing, and short writing in each day.
- continue to do weekly vocabulary/spelling. I teach English language learners specifically and I feel that they the need explicit word instruction
- continue to do weekly root word for the same reason - I think root word study helps add to studentsí toolboxes so that they have something to help when they come across unfamiliar words
- grammar mini lessons - I havenít figured this one out yet all the way
- choose novels that can be coupled with writing assignments. I havenít thought this one all the way through yet - I was just thinking I need to be able to combine tasks whenever possible.

More suggestions or ways to incorporate language arts into literature would be helpful. Thank you so much!

Englishish

Same
Old 06-23-2020, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That schedule has been my life for years. Itís tough, but doable. Iím looking at using the Expeditionary Learning curriculum this coming year. Iíve always created my own, but I think Iím going to see if this will be an easier way to manage whatever contingency plans happen with this year.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote