Help

Kindergarten

Sad

>

meandmyhouse

Sad
Old 06-27-2020, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How are you feeling about school next school year? We all know that anything other than "brick and mortal" just will not work. I am feeling incredibly sad. Worried yes, but more so sad.

meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Itís going to be a challenge
Old 06-27-2020, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are tentatively scheduled to open in person instruction, but it will be so different. I am trying to think of ways to make our distancing into a game for my first graders, but it will be so hard not to hug them, especially when they are sad.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel like I'm going through the stages of grief or something. I've been upset, angry, appalled, in disbelief, sad, you name it. I've shed more tears in the past few months than I have in the past 40 years. I truly feel just horrible for the babies that will be starting school this year, and if I was the parent of a young student I would not be sending them.

Online? No way. There is just no way to make this work well with kinders. They need hands-on. They need the relationships. They need the social practice. They need the immediate and personal feedback. They need to sing and play and interact. They need to be in school with their peers and teachers.

Hybrid or fully in person? Well, that's a whole lot better. However, as soon as you say we can do it, but only if they are distanced and sanitized and masked and separated, well... there goes just about anything that is better about it.

I feel like we are taking everything we know about best practices and developmentally appropriate activities and how children learn and just throwing them out in the name of "safety".

I know there are teachers for which working individually, doing worksheets, using ipads, etc. will not be a huge change. But for me, this means changing absolutely everything about my entire day and going against everything I believe in and have been fighting for.

I know that 95% of the things they are asking us to do to keep kids "safe" just won't work. They are 5. I feel like all of the mandates, suggestions, protocols, etc. are coming from people who have never set foot in an early childhood classroom.

Part of me wants to quit. A bigger part of me knows these kids need teachers who are still going to fight for them and put in the time to make school as appropriate and happy as possible.

So how am I feeling? It depends on the week, day, hour...
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 06-29-2020, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sbkangas5, yes, grief! That is the perfect description. I would add anxiety also. I keep going from one thought to another about this coming school year.

My district has a mandatory class this summer about using our online teaching website. This also makes me so discouraged. I can barely figure it out. It is not user friendly, we all know that even if it was, it isn't going to work for Kindergarten.

Thank you for sharing!

Munchins, you are so right! There is no way possible to keep distance from the children. Hugs are just going to happen. Also, children have no concept of body awareness. No matter how much we talk about our "bubbles" it doesn't happen,

Vet3Teacher

Old 06-30-2020, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When this all started I thought it wouldn't reach our area. We are starting to see a second surge. I was cutting some things out today wondering if I will even use half of it. If we do stay home, I guess I will make my big wall into a calendar. I just got moved to kinder so I hope I get to experience the year with the kids.
Hugs will happen. It's human nature. The kids need them, I need them and I hope we don't get in trouble for it.

Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 07-01-2020, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Vet3teacher, what you said about making your wall into a calendar is interesting. We are all sad and anxious about this year coming. Everything Kindergarten will go out the window if we have to teach online. Maybe we could focus on gathering some ideas together here on the Kindergarten board, like your calendar idea. Doing so will at least give us something to focus and work on. I know it would benefit me mentally to do something, anything that can help face reality. Going into the with something is better than going in with nothing. I will start a thread, then if anyone wants to participate they can.

iteachk2010

Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been really struggling with this.

When we first started the quarantine, everything was dropped on our laps. We had a meeting with the principal after lunch on Monday, March 16th. We were told that the schools were closing for 2 weeks and that we were sending home iPads, math books, journals and packets with students. (Packets had information-not worksheets.) The principal brought in substitutes to cover our classes and we had about 2 hours to get everything ready. The next day we were fully online teaching and we did not go back to school. We were in survival mode and had to figure out ways to meet the different challenges as the weeks stretched out to 3 months.

I have been teaching for 37 years. I love teaching. I even love technology, but this experience did me in. I have never been so exhausted in my life. I have done nothing the past two weeks-our last day was June 15th. It was so overwhelming trying to make it work for our little ones and to keep them connected.

When I went in to pack up my classroom, it was so surreal. It was like time had stopped. I put away the materials my students had gathered to make their leprechaun traps. I removed the little drawings and love notes from my students that I put on a bulletin board. I cleaned out cubbies that had art shirts and changes of clothing and chair pockets that had project materials and works in progress. I emptied zippered pouches that had their pencils and other supplies. I cleaned toys, manipulatives and blocks. I sifted the sand in my sand table. I sorted through books and put them back where they belonged. I boxed up items and shoved them onto shelves. I covered bulletin boards. I stared out the window at the empty playground equipment that was taped off and hadn't been used in months. The silence was deafening. Then I sat down and cried for all the missed opportunities for my students.

I think Sbkangas5 describes a lot of what I am feeling. I am sad for my students. I am sad because I didn't get to see them in person. I missed my favorite part of the year-when we get to see them blossom and when everything starts to click. I missed doing some of my favorite activities with them like the ocean museum I always set up in the library. I always said that when I no longer can make a difference, it will be time to retire. I know I did the best that I could for my students, but felt it wasn't good enough. This has me thinking about retirement, which makes me feel so incredibly sad-especially if this experience is how I end my career.

I've read the CDC guidelines and some districts' anticipated guidelines. I can't imagine how they could think that those guidelines can be implemented in kindergarten. I don't even want to anticipate the new "normal" for school. It is not realistic to expect teachers to do both (online and in the classroom) at the same time. (We worked long hours just getting the online teaching to work.) I can't see that our little ones will wear/keep on a mask or that they will be able to keep socially distanced. Socialization is such a important part of kindergarten. How can you have kindergarten without centers?

It was very difficult for parents, too. At our level, parents need to be involved. It was hard for them-especially if they had more than one child or if they had to work, too. Child care is an issue that has to be taken into consideration when discussing staggered schedules and bus schedules.

The one thing I do know is that most kindergarten teachers are dedicated caring individuals who will work hard to make it work as best as we can for our students. We will find a way to do it for our kids because we love them, as we continue to advocate to do what is developmentally-appropriate for our kids.

Teachers will continue to encourage and support each other. It is important for us to take care of ourselves and to have balance.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-01-2020, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

iteachk - so many of the same feelings! Missing my favorite part of the year - the "payoff" of all of our hard work. Seeing their artwork and notes and everything. The March calendar still up. It was so bizarre!

I actually had a lot of time in my room as we were never not allowed to be there. I did most of my zoom meetings from school, as well as a lot of cleaning. But I can't tell you how many hours I just sat and could not do anything productive. I would do things like check markers or sharpen pencils, but I couldn't do anything that actually involved thought or planning. It was just too much!

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-01-2020, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have no idea how to make social distancing work for five year olds.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I have no idea how to make social distancing work for five year olds.
We can't. We just can't. It's a ridiculous expectation. I can be the distancing/handwashing/mask police, or I can teach, but I can't do both.

Kentish Lass

Kentish Lass

Kindergarten and Masks
Old 07-26-2020, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I donít know how Iím going to keep my kinders in mandatory masks and 6 feet away from each other. Iím literally sick to my stomach every day worrying about that. I also have a genetic lung disease which scares me more and more each day as I think about interacting with kiddos and staff. and the possibility of getting infected with COVID-19. I havenít been out of my house since March except to walk my dog - groceries delivered and no social interaction.