New Teachers

Catholic and Private vs. Public Schools

>

tlctori

tlctori

Catholic and Private vs. Public Schools
Old 07-28-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!! I have graduated with my Master's this year (May 2020) and am now in the long and grueling process of applying to any and all jobs that I am slightly interested in to get my foot in a school and starting putting that degree to good use!! I want to think because of Covid I'm having troubles but I know this is just how it goes. I've gotten some advice to start applying to Catholic/private schools even though that was never what I wanted to do and I know the pay is lower. On the plus side, I've heard they are desperate enough to hire anyone and it could be a good way to get my start. Since many jobs require x amount of years in elementary, 3 years in a catholic school actually teaching may look better and give me more experience than trying to sub for years until getting a teaching job. Any other thoughts on the subject of working at a catholic school for a few years and then trying to find another job? Thanks!

Teacherbee_4

Catholic School
Old 08-03-2020, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a proud supporter of Catholic Education and Catholic Schools, I'll say that I love teaching in a Catholic School. I started in public school since that was where I was hired, and after 5 years made the switch. I attended Catholic Schools my whole life, even through college. I don't regret my switch from public to Catholic. Yes, it was a pay cut, but it was worth every penny cut. Every Catholic school is different, just as every public school is different.

While I would highly recommend Catholic Schools, it really does depend on the school. Also, I would hope that even if you are looking at a public school in a few years, you still support the mission of Catholic Schools. Catholic Schools need people to support their mission, and honestly, if you don't fully support the mission, I don't think you'd be as happy.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Loved my time in private schools. Did a few years in a Lutheran School and then 6 years in a Catholic school. I miss my Catholic school days all the time.

Don't know if you have considered this, but how about applying outside your area. I live in NC and jobs are plentiful. Not sure where you are from but pay is lower than northern states, but cost of living is lower too.

Given that many are starting virtually you might be able to start online with a district since they are starting soon, giving you time to relocate.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

This is not the case
Old 08-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I've heard they are desperate enough to hire anyone and it could be a good way to get my start.
in any of the schools I have taught in. We are not desperate enough to hire anyone, and that statement is certainly not true of our area.

Our teachers are all certified and many have their masters degrees or are working towards that. I have always taught in private or Catholic Schools. You will likely gain some good experiences in many private or Catholic schools. It can be challenging and rewarding.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote