Help

Substitute Teachers

Virtual Sub

>

BadKitty

Virtual Sub
Old 08-06-2020, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district is going hybrid this year with an A/B schedule.
Parents are also given the option to go fully online as well.
Which means there will be "classes" of online only students with teachers who are only teaching online and not in person.
This kids who are going hybrid will NOT be part of these classes and their online learning on their off days will be their "specials" so they'll have art, music, tech, etc. on those days, plus some learning that their homeroom teacher assigns.

Aaaaand subs are also being given the option to sub online only, in-person only, or both.

Any of your districts letting subs teach virtually?

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-06-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not to my knowledge, we are starting the year with distance learning with the hope of returning to a hybrid at the end of the first trimester.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

nope
Old 08-06-2020, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

we haven't heard a word suggesting we will be used for distance learning, only in-person stuff. i'm not saying it's impossible, but i won't count on that being an option in my district.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Probably not
Old 08-07-2020, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But who knows what might be tried if a lot of teachers get sick? (Not just quarantined because I think those will just teach remotely with a sub in the room for supervision.)

That gives me another thought. Won't it be expensive if they have to pay a sub for both a teacher's quarantine days and also their sick/personal days throughout the year? (Although, to be honest, maybe the low sub pay makes that less of an issue :/ And also, I think it is unlikely that we will go in person for the full year.)
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

OCsubinCA

Questionnaire
Old 08-07-2020, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of my school districts who are is going completely online "until schools are safe to reopen" stated they will be using their subs during this time. They sent out a questionnaire for us to respond to asking... 1. If we are interested in subbing online, 2. If we have the technology needed for it (computer with video conferencing capabilities, camera, etc.), 3. Are we available for long-term assignments, 4. What credential we hold, and 5. if we are interested in the upcoming online training course (they are going to be giving a Distance Learning training course online one day next week in the morning).

Truthfully - I am not interested in subbing virtually. I am not a computer-oriented person. It takes me a long time to get the knack of something when it comes to computers. It took me forever to become comfortable with taking attendance and lunch count on a laptop or ipad in the classroom - opting for the 'old school' way if the office let me. Now I think it is so easy but boy did I struggle with it at first. I can master things when it comes to computers but I have to do it routinely and have hands-on training and a lot of time to get there. I can just imagine myself trying to conduct an online class for an absent teacher. It would be a wasted day for the kids and I would feel so defeated.

If I check "No" to the question 'Are you interested in subbing virtually?' I'm wondering if it may interfere with my unemployment??!!

OCsubinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 08-07-2020, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with you. I don't want to bunch of time and stress into something that is temporary. I don't think that is considered a "job offer" for unemployment. You weren't actually offered a job, they just asked if you were interested. I think I wouldn't respond, at all, just to be safe, though.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 08-08-2020, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've heard nothing from my district via email or telephone. I've had to get all my information about their plans from their website, and it's been vague. The more I hear about partner teachers taking over for when their coworkers are absent, the more I'm put off of the whole thing. Assuming they even need subs, what's it gonna be like... one job a week at best? Unemployment pays higher than that, even without the CARES act. This isn't even an issue of greed on my part, it's just simple logistics as an adult with responsibilities. I can't take a job that pays me like 300 dollars a month in California.

I think the notion that we're being "welcomed back" while they simultaneously set up a system designed to push us out of the equation, is just the biggest noncommittal middle finger. If districts don't need subs anymore, they should stop dillydallying with it and actually fire us so we can collect unemployment and look for other options. We could have been collecting all summer, but instead we got to sit around, clutching our letter of reasonable assurance, as they drafted up a plan to completely kill our earning potential while smiling in our faces and welcoming us back to work. No other industry does this ####.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 08-08-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Has your school district started up yet? We have an AB schedule at the middle school and 2 on/2 off at the high school. Elementary is as usual. I have already worked 2 days with 5 more scheduled for next week. There are plenty of open jobs listed here.

I hope I'm misunderstanding that you are saying that the school created a diabolical plan with the specific intention of eliminating all the subs. I haven't heard anything about partner teachers yet, but it makes sense.

My schools recently began including subs on emails. Maybe you could suggest that.

Since I am not a permanent sub who has made a fulltime commitment to the school, I don't expect to be treated exactly like the other staff. That's the other side of the coin for having a job where I can choose where, when, and whether I work.

sila

Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We had a training in which their explanation I am guessing that online subbing will not happen .
Usually partner teachers can easily take over it .
Without paying a sub rt ?
May be long term subs they need .

Our schools yet to open .
Not sure they call me for AB schedule day .

But one thing both school dists did not forget to mention to subs .
Sorry .
We donít have a pay hike as per covid situations .

That much loyalty to subs they have I felt .If sub is sick ,go home and pay yourself to treat .

It is true some posts saying here .

Sometimes getting unemployment is far far better than going into .

Undecided situation now .No solution .

Thinking in mind to find one part time job or tutoring .

Have a feeling I chose wrong profession and teaching also .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote
Ideaonlibe

Ideaonlibe

Partner teacher has 2 laptops with sub
Old 08-08-2020, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is my idea. 5th grade teacher mrs. A is sick. Sub fills in for mrs. A online. Sub goes to mrs. B classroom. Mrs. B teaches her class and mrs. A. class. Mrs. B has her laptop and mrs. A laptop to teach. The sub sits in mrs. B classroom and takes roll for mrs. A (before mrs. B teaches). The sub then sits in the room. Mrs. B could ask the sub to run errands, make copies, correct papers, etc.

Aillya

Old 08-09-2020, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I hope I'm misunderstanding that you are saying that the school created a diabolical plan with the specific intention of eliminating all the subs. I haven't heard anything about partner teachers yet, but it makes sense.
The partner-teacher setup is what I've heard from teachers here, and from teachers I'm friends with in other communities. I'm not saying it's "eliminating all the subs," since there are clearly districts stubborn enough to open in full swing right now as if nothing's changed in the world, but in districts where partner teaching is being done, it's very clearly designed to address the issue of absent fulltime teachers, which -- yes -- impacts the demand for subs drastically. Districts planning to go this route should be up front instead of having us expect work (letter of reasonable assurance) only to get like, one call a week at best if absences are covered by other full time teachers instead of subs. If my help's not needed this year because you're planning to alternate and swap your existing staff around, let me know now, and formally dismiss me so I can easily acquire unemployment pay while I find another job and move on with my life. Simply put, it's unprofessional to leave people hanging like this.

I'm glad things are working out fine in your district, though.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Maybe
Old 08-09-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Ideaonlibe's Message:
Here is my idea. 5th grade teacher mrs. A is sick. Sub fills in for mrs. A online. Sub goes to mrs. B classroom. Mrs. B teaches her class and mrs. A. class. Mrs. B has her laptop and mrs. A laptop to teach. The sub sits in mrs. B classroom and takes roll for mrs. A (before mrs. B teaches). The sub then sits in the room. Mrs. B could ask the sub to run errands, make copies, correct papers, etc
Maybe, if it's all virtual, but I don't think a sub would be requested if Mrs. B is doing everything.

If there are in-person students, you can't combine classes because of numbers.

YayaSub

Old 08-09-2020, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Districts planning to go this route should be up front instead of having us expect work (letter of reasonable assurance) only to get like, one call a week at best if absences are covered by other full time teachers instead of subs.

I don't know much about unemployment, but isn't there some provision for employees who have reduced hours due to Covid? Maybe a partial supplement?

Also, our area has increasing cases but pretty low hospitalizations and deaths so far. Parents were offered several options, and most chose in-person instruction: 92% of grades 9-12. With the hybrid schedule, classes have 8-12 students present (elementary is not hybrid and has about 20). Masks in common areas and short mask breaks when given permission at their seats. It's working fine so far, and hopefully we don't get shut down because of cases. Our school did have its first last week, and it's plastered all over the local news like it's a surpise.

BadKitty

Old 08-09-2020, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Maybe, if it's all virtual, but I don't think a sub would be requested if Mrs. B is doing everything.

If there are in-person students, you can't combine classes because of numbers.
Agree with this ^
There will be no mixing of classes or teachers in our district.

bodhimom

Less income because of virus
Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

There is a provision for a cut in hours due to Covid, at least in Ca. I know a chaplain who had his hours cut because he can't do home visits, anymore. He can only call them. I believe you can't do it all online, though. My understanding is that you have to actually talk to someone (good luck with that). I haven't asked the chaplain what happened, in his case. I'll try to remember to ask him, next time I see him, and report back to ya'll (I'm from Texas, by the way ).

bodhimom

Subs for virtual
Old 08-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think it just makes more sense to have another teacher do an absent teacher's virtual class. They know what is needed and how to do it, already. That is much easier than having to train and take a chance with a sub.

I'm not saying that subs don't get treated like dirt because I know they often do, but I don't think this is anti-sub - it's just what is easier and probably more effective.

I'm just going to wait it out until classes resume, but I do have my eye out for other jobs that pop up every now and then on indeed.com. I feel sorry for people that have to depend on this job to live, especially if they have kids.

I do think that subs will be in higher demand when school resumes to in-class. I think that we may even be treated better since we'll be in higher demand. Principals may think twice about firing us without letting us at least defend ourselves. Some have already had an increase in pay. They'll get tired of having to have other teachers cover for an absent teacher.

Something happened to me that I got entirely too much joy from . I was fired from a school (and district, since it was the only school I worked for) a long time ago, and I wasn't even given the dignity of giving my side of the story, or even him informing me that I had been fired. (Only after I inquired did he tell me. I responded and told him, "What if I was a single mother with two kids, I could have applied at a different district two weeks ago!).

Apparently, I'm still on some list because that same district emailed the subs to see if they were still willing to sub when schools open. I got way to much joy out of responding with how I had been fired without being able to defend myself. But, no, I wasn't returning, anyway, because I found a better district and school, even though, at the time, that was my favorite school. I ended with, "too bad he did that.". . I'm sure it won't get back to the principal, unfortunately, but at least maybe someone, there, will have the thought that maybe they should treat their subs better, because they may need us, a lot, in the future.

Maybe this virus will make them think twice about treating us like we're a dime a dozen. I hope so.

BadKitty

Old 08-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
I think it just makes more sense to have another teacher do an absent teacher's virtual class. They know what is needed and how to do it, already. That is much easier than having to train and take a chance with a sub.
We have separate virtual teachers who will teach virtual classes, and the in-person teachers are only teaching in-person classes

CC96

One of my districts
Old 08-09-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

One of my districts, sent an email to subs seeing who would be interested in possible long-term sub assignments That could come up for the next school year and if they were Interested to let the district know and they might be able to take some online training and get paid for that online training. Since I never take long-term assignments, and am not going to start now, I did not respond.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 08-09-2020, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

What I'm saying is that usually there is more than one teacher teaching the same thing, especially in elementary. The one teacher could do the online teaching for the other. I'm sure it could be worked out.

artladyhere

Old 08-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Our district is doing virtual or in-person full time. They wants subs to teach virtual that have strong computer skills. That would NOT be me.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote