Help

Kindergarten

virtual schedule thoughts/help

>

Sbkangas5

virtual schedule thoughts/help
Old 08-09-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm sure you are all feeling the same as me - having to rethink every single aspect of the day is exhausting!! I have two whole group times each day. One is our morning meeting, and one is near the end of the day which is our designated "writing" time (but will end up being something else). I keep going back and forth on how to schedule these and would love any thoughts! My time frames are firm.

Morning is 10-15 minutes
I'd love to start with our good morning song, but that also eats up precious time. Do I keep it, or play it as they log in? Or do I play a different song each morning as they log in (like a song to go with what we are studying that week)?

Question of the day - I love this as a getting to know you/attendance activity. But I also love doing a morning greeting. Any good ideas for combining the two? I have lots of questions, and they would entail either a thumbs up/down, showing an emotion on their face, and maybe something like holding up a crayon that's the color of their answer.

Morning message - I generally do this each morning, but wonder if I have time. If I do, should I do it on the board where I can still point to the words as we read, correct things and show proper printing, etc? Or just do it digitally? Do you think 10-15 minutes is enough for the QOTD and a message?

If I don't do a message, then I would do preview of the day and show them the check-off list and talk through it.

Afternoon Time - 30 min
If I don't do a greeting in the morning, maybe I can do it here? We do responsive classroom and none of my greeting routines will really work online, so that needs a lot of thought.

If I don't do a morning message, I'm thinking maybe a daily message here that reviews the day or talks about the next day.

Calendar - I won't have time during our math instruction, so this seems like the only place it will fit. We are starting small and then building up to a calendar notebook.

Phonemic Awareness - I am new to Heggerty this year. I hear it takes 10-15 minutes?

Writing - whatever this entails... I'll think about that later, but I know that doing it whole group won't be effective.

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas, etc. I am dearly missing my partner - it's always so much easier to make these decisions with two people!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm struggling with my morning too. I set up a calendar and I just don't think it will work. But it's up and I don;'t want to take it down. I'm still pretty determined to somehow find a way to make it work, even if it's just a short sentence.

Here's what I would suggest:

Morning meeting: Come in, say good morning, play your song (though I'd pick one of the 2 min ones instead of a 5 min one). Give them a quick overview of the day and a daily quote. Depending on how many students you have, you can come up with a shared greeting. Dr. jean has a lot of fun name songs you could try, which would help learn names too.

Question of the Day and Morning message: I would move this to your writing time and make it whole group. For example, your morning message could incorporate a question and students could draw their answer (and try to write it too). You could talk about adding details, what a question is, etc. You could even incorporate calendar into this time as well and talk about writing dates and why it's important for journals, etc.

Heggerty usually takes even shorter for me. It depends on how long your wait times are. I would set aside 10 minutes, especially in the beginning. I'll be doing Heggerty in small groups.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the idea of combining the morning message and question of the day! I think I'll do that, and tie it into our writing. Thanks!

iteachk2010

Old 08-11-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We just got word which hybrid plan we are going to do. We'll be doing fully online and ED HD hybrid. For the hybrid, the students attend every day for half day. They leave at lunch time. They will get a bagged lunch and breakfast for the next day to take home. We get our lunch after dismissal. Then they do virtual learning for the rest of the afternoon.

We are responsible for both groups and are supposed to teach the kids online and the kids in school at the same time. We haven't gotten the details of how it will work-just platitudes about what great teachers we are, how talented we are, what a great job we did in the spring...they know we can do it. I am not sure how to even plan.

I think it is important to get a routine established that can be followed whether online or in school. Our parents have the opportunity to switch options every 45 days. That will make it easier for students to transition from one option to the other. It would also make it easier for an ED HD student to move to full virtual if having to quarantine due to exposure to Covid, but not have symptoms, so able to keep working.

We haven't been given our schedules for the in school learning. I am hoping that I will have some flexibility. I am going to be reading everyone's responses. Some of you will be heading back before we do. Our students don't start until the Tuesday after Labor Day.

Are you using Zoom for your whole group times? Will you do read alouds on Zoom for the whole group or do in school with your students and assign the video to the students working virtually?

I think you can do morning message and QOTD together. I did that in the spring. It worked out well. I did it digitally in the spring. I used a Google Slide in Seesaw. Since this year I will have some students in school and some at home. I am thinking about videoing it while I do it with the kids in school on my easel. I am trying to figure out how to do it so the students learning virtually still get to participate.

I am not familiar with Heggerty. Our phonics program has a whole group and small group part. Does Heggerty have both? Does it have videos to share with students or any digital components?
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh iteachk - I am SO sorry! I still can't believe any school thinks that you can teach in person and virtually at the same time. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Quote:
Are you using Zoom for your whole group times? Will you do read alouds on Zoom for the whole group or do in school with your students and assign the video to the students working virtually?
We are using zoom for everything as we are fully online right now. I'm doing a mix of live read-alouds and recorded.

Quote:
Since this year I will have some students in school and some at home. I am thinking about videoing it while I do it with the kids in school on my easel. I am trying to figure out how to do it so the students learning virtually still get to participate.
I was going to do slides for my morning message, but now I'm thinking I might do it on my white board instead like I would IRL. That way I can still point to the words as we read as well as make notes. Plus if we do come back IRL it will be an easier transition.
Quote:
Our phonics program has a whole group and small group part. Does Heggerty have both? Does it have videos to share with students or any digital components?
This is my first year with Heggerty but I'm planning on doing it all whole group - I think it can be done with either. I'm not sure about videos or anything digital, but I'm hoping maybe it does or that they are working on it. I feel like most curriculums are getting more robust online components right now!