My districts handling of training makes no sense. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

My districts handling of training makes no sense.

>

Sirsubalot

My districts handling of training makes no sense.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wrote my sub coordinator and asked her if I could attend an online training session, or did I need to wait until I was assigned a school.

She said I could not attend training unless I had a job lined up.

This makes no sense. How am I supposed to accept any offers that begin immediately when I am not allowed to attend training in advance and do not even have a chromebook?

It makes a lot more sense to have a general training for all subs, whether we have an assignment or not.

I truly don't get it.

I wrote our sub coordinator again to put forth this scenario, because so far she has not addressed this when I have written to her.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I am confused
Old 08-14-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have been saying that you are not going back so why would you want to attend training???
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ignored

Ignored

Ignored by sub coordinator
Old 08-14-2020, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I emailed a sub coordinator on Wednesday and Thursday. I even left her a voice message. The sub coordinator ignored me. She did not return my call and she did not respond to my emails. I asked her if we subs need to be trained in distant learning (like other districts) before we accept a job on aesop.

Sirsubalot

Old 08-14-2020, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our sub coordinator wrote me back and said " I would not accept the job".

This again makes no sense because she said you need a job to be invited to training, but how do you ever get trained if you don't accept a job?

I guess I will need to make sure I only accept jobs at least a few days in advance, hope there will be a training session in the interim, and then cancel the job if there isn't training.

My sub coordinator just gives quick responses and provides very little detail, so I have to bug her multiple times.

To answer CC96 question, the training would be far less risky than going to multiple classrooms throughout the year . The training might be done from home with instructions online. This is another question for our sub coordinator.

Either way, the risk is much less than going to classrooms and seeing 6,000 different kids every month, so I would certainly not yet accept jobs in the classroom.

All district jobs will be done at home alone and only online until further notice..

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 08-14-2020 at 10:29 PM..

LilMsSunshine

Old 08-15-2020, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This sounds like it may be a communication issue. Maybe she is not understanding your question correctly?

Also, if you often have to contact her multiple times to get a complete response, I would suggest no longer emailing her. Instead, I would call her directly. It’s much less frustrating for both of you to get the clarity you need in one conversation, instead of getting bits and pieces of confusing responses through multiple emails flying back and forth. Just a thought!!

Last edited by LilMsSunshine; 08-15-2020 at 05:53 AM..
LilMsSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

sounds familiar
Old 08-15-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

your coordinator sounds like mine, even before covid. i haven't bothered to ask a thing since all this started except one question about pay and one question about my inability log in to smartfind, because my experience has always been that you are lucky to get a one-line response and half the time it's clear the folks in that office didn't actually read the email/listen to the message, as they don't really answer what's being asked and are rude/dismissive to boot.

this is another reason i'm avoiding going back. i expect my district is making no provisions for us. i know many believed we are warm adult bodies, and i think it is doubly true now. we got one email from hr in april (pay), two over the summer (lra, we still need you!), not even a mention in any of the weekly information from the super (other staff was mentioned).

sorry for ranty run-ons!

to clarify - i don't think they plan to use us for distance in my district unless it is long-term.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am certainly aware that direct conversation is preferable, but it is not that easy. It is much easier said than done.

I tried this four times before reverting to e-mail..

I have tried calling her, and only got through to her voice mail once.

The other times the phone just kept ringing with no pick up.

When I did get through to the sub desk, I got the voice mail of her temporary replacement from last year.

When I called to tell human resources the problem, they called me back and just gave me her e-mail instead of direct line contact.
Lenment

Lenment

Training
Old 08-16-2020, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a similar situation. I have to accept a job b/4 I receive any training. Districts probably want to save money. I understand your concerns, but I personally think they should open up the schools.

I've read and heard all of the arguments against this, but the collateral damage of keeping kids at home and destroying the economy is decimating the nation. I'm in favor of the principle of utility, the greatest amount of good,for the greatest number of people. When Stanford and Yale have studies that show a .04 percent or chance of dying from Covid for the entire nation of all ages, I have to side with them. For kids, that percentage would be less! So I might put subbing on hold if they won't train me unless I take a job with very few details and information.
I am not falling for the trap!

Tapdancesub

Old 08-17-2020, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Out “training” consists of a paragraph on frontline reminding us to wear a mask, wash our hands, and practice social distancing. Yeah, really.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-17-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I discovered yesterday that my other smaller district that used frontline deactivated my account.

Our sub coordinator said that any sub who who has not had long distance learning training has been deactivated, and that only 30 subs were included in the first group of training.

She said future training will be done in the coming weeks on a basis of need.

Reading between the lines, this means I might not get activated any time soon.

I also need a password to use my given district e-mail address, which she says is a requirement, but I have not gotten that yet either. i asked for it this morning but have not been contacted yet.

I am afraid only the top ranked or most favored subs in all my districts will work online this year, and I do not seem to be either in any district.

CC96

Frontline/absence management
Old 08-17-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When I log on, my school districts come up, however there are no jobs. Which does not surprise me because I believe all three of my districts are going back strictly online for the fall, also at this point I think that just makes it easier to stay on EDD which I am rightfully entitled to do since there are no jobs matching what I usually have and was hired for. I am just hoping things go back 100% normal for the 21/22 school year, but not holding my breath. My husband and I will get the vaccine once we see that it appears safe. If all of my schools stay on block schedule I am not sure what I will do since I worked in districts that had schedules that allowed for restroom use between classes, which medically I need.

broomrider

sirsubalot
Old 08-17-2020, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If the districts deactivated you does that mean you've been laid off/fired? If so, aren't you now eligible for unemployment benefits?

I'm under the impression that districts pay into unemployment benefits, so they may reactivate all the subs if they have to start paying into that system rather than relying on letters of reasonable assurance.

I'd get something in writing from the various districts clarifying your status.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-17-2020, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One district I work for has locked us out of Aesop. They have provided no details or offers about online training. I didn’t even know I was locked out until my union sent me an email about it, and they are currently fighting with the district about it. I imagine this has also happened to several of you.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-17-2020, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The district that locked me out accounts for about 25% of all my work, so I would still be employed even if laid off.

I have not been officially laid off, but deactivation is about the same.

She did say to contact her if I need access to my district e-mail, which means I have not officially been laid off. She has not responded yet, but since today was the first day of school, I imagine she is quite busy.

It sure would have been nice if she had warned us in advance about the deactivation instead of keeping us in the dark.

The deactivation was recent since I was able to access frontline just three days ago.

bodhimom

Old 08-18-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I don't know if I have been deactivated on Aesop, but whenever I go onto it, it always says there are no jobs available. Luckily, I don't depend on the job or I'd be screwed.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

keep in mind
Old 08-18-2020, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

i don't know how it works in your district, but i always forget that there is a period of time in august where i can't access stuff, something about rolling everything over to the new year. you may be able to log in and view stuff normally in a few days/weeks if that's the case for your district.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 08-18-2020, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just read the entire email and it does say that we will get paid for the 3-hour training, but it didn't say how much.

I'm going to go just because, if I don't, it will appear that I don't want to work. It doesn't mean that I will take every job they offer, though, especially if they're going to play games by not giving me the details of the job, like has happened to some on here. I have jury duty the day after the training, so I have a good excuse to not take jobs

Sirsubalot

Old 08-18-2020, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If you are locked out of Aesop you will get a blue box stating your account can no longer be accessed with your user name.

If there are no jobs available, you are still active, there are just no jobs.

As I was writing this, I got an immediate response to my 2nd inquiry about an e-mail password, which reads she will be into work tomorrow

CC96

One CA district doing this
Old 08-18-2020, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Interesting—involves subs— here is the article https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/17/us/ca...rus/index.html

bodhimom

Old 08-18-2020, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thank you Sir - I wasn't sure what was going on with Aesop. Since I got an email about a training next week, maybe we can't take jobs until trained. I really have no idea, though. They don't tell us much. This is the first time they've contacted us since this started, except for notice of jobs, or whatever it's called.

mommysubs

Frustrating
Old 08-24-2020, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yes the districts' "handling" of us does seem quite frustrating. Typical, though, of what I would expect.

I already had a job booked for me (without my permission) in Aesop, for next month but problem is I WAS a contract sub and the district made a point to not send out a new contract letter with the reassurance of employment statement. I guess they weren't going to fall for the possibility of paying unemployment again for us "subhuman" employees. Not to mention there are no health benefits for us working in the situation where we are pretty much guaranteed exposure. (We had at least 2 covid positive students in March before school had shut down.) Nor is any training being provided for us because we aren't really considered "staff" but merely warm clueless bodies who should always be kept in the dark and made to feel ignorant. No thanks! I will pass.

As it is, I have decided out of necessity to homeschool this year as one of my children already visits the hospital every school year with all the illnesses he picks up in a normal year at our local biohazard of an elementary school. No way will I be playing Russian roulette by sending him and his brother this year. Subbing in person this year for me would be pointless considering that it would not be feasible to keep my kids safe being exposed everyday. Not to mention, I need to be home to homeschool. Of course there are no online options for us here. So I have been trying to get a remote teaching or tutoring position since before my online high school summer teaching job finished up at the beginning of this month. So far, I have been failing miserably.

Last edited by mommysubs; 08-24-2020 at 05:57 PM..
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote