Help

Substitute Teachers

District training takeaways

>

Subtastic

District training takeaways
Old 08-13-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of my districts is planning to reopen and offered paid training for substitutes yesterday, so I thought I would share.

1. Expect to be asked help out with temperature checks and enforcing social distancing at the start of the day, and we are also expected to wipe down all desks and highly touched surfaces when the kids leave for the day. Wonder how long that will take?
2. Classroom doors and windows are to be left open during the school day.
3. Do not send kids out to the nurse. She will come to us.
4. Lunches will be served in the classroom. We can leave when someone comes to relieve us.
5. There will be 10-minute mask breaks throughout the day, BUT only quiet talking is allowed, and kids must stay put.
6. We are expected to monitor kids who are learning remotely as well as our in-person classes.
7. There are no longer teacher desks - they take up space - but a seating area.
8. MS/HS - Expect to go from classroom to classroom.
9. We will finally be given laptops with access to school programs! Yay.
10. They're still working on the hall pass system. They really don't want kids roaming the hallways.
11. Some staff will do all-remote teaching, but I got the impression they don't want day-to-day subs to fill in for them when they're absent. I think if the teacher is out, s/he will just assign work for them to do.
12. There was a question about circulating the room and how close to get to kids? Some subs did not feel comfortable being close. They told us to use our best judgment.
13. The told us to keep our masks on unless we are eating, or alone in the classroom.

Last edited by Subtastic; 08-14-2020 at 06:24 PM..
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Thanks
Old 08-13-2020, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thanks, Good to know. I am curious when you say thereís no desks, but they have a seating area what does that mean??? Iím thinking I donít need this much stress in my life.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Iím thinking I donít need this much stress in my life.
Same for me...thanks for the information. My district hasn't even contacted me regarding training.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Interesting job list. Number 8 - expected to go to class and class.
What 25 students? 20 students? and then double that amount.

Would that be a good job for an older sub ? Healthly job?
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-13-2020, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are going to expect us to do even more. They should hire a nurse for the temp readings, which seem to be a waste of time anyway.

Are they giving you gloves to clean stuff? It’s not in my job description to clean surfaces that are highly touched. This is pretty much what I thought they would make us do. No interest in going back on top of the safety issues.

I can’t imagine kids are going to listen to us when we are telling them to social distance. I can’t imagine kids online are going to listen to us at all, if they even show up.

Good luck and be safe.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-14-2020, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Interesting job list. Number 8 - expected to go to class and class.
What 25 students? 20 students? and then double that amount.

Would that be a good job for an older sub ? Healthly job?
At the middle school or high school level, whether they're coming to you or you're going to them you're probably going to see, at minimum, 3 classes of students in a day and perhaps as many as 7 or 8. The purpose of having teachers do the moving is so that kids aren't changing classes in crowded hallways. Class sizes are probably highly dependent on how many students are opting for distance learning only. And no, I don't think it's a good job for an older sub. I know that in my area many retired teacher subs (me among them) are not planning to sub and many schools are facing a serious sub shortage.

Quote:
Are they giving you gloves to clean stuff? Itís not in my job description to clean surfaces that are highly touched. This is pretty much what I thought they would make us do. No interest in going back on top of the safety issues.
I'm sure regular teachers have to do this, too. Last year, even before COVID, in my part time contracted job I was expected to wipe down surfaces every day. This was because we had a lot of flu and flu-like illnesses that were driving school closures even before the pandemic. I was not given gloves, the feeling being that I could wash my hands afterwards. My school is providing masks, face shields, hand sanitizer, disinfectant but I'm in a private school. I know the public school is asking students to bring a box of masks and a bottle of hand sanitizer as part of their school supplies.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm a regular classroom teacher. These seem very typical.

1: I have to clean the desks and highly touched surfaces between every class, so this is not just something they are making subs do. The custodian staff will be in charge of the common areas during the school day, and they clean our rooms on Wednesdays when we won't have kids in the building.

2: Doors are open. Windows are closed because we have air conditioning.

5: Students may remove masks when they are seated at their desks, provided they are at least 6' apart. Masks required when in common areas and when moving around the classroom.

6. We have both in-person and remote kids. The remote kids are working in Edgenuity. The in-person kids are doing other work.

7. I'm secondary. We have desks. The ones we aren't using have to be marked.

8. Our students will be changing classes. Each grade has always had a different bell schedule anyway, and half of the kids at a time are in the building. It won't be crowded. No lockers either. DH's school is switching teachers.

10: We are using electronic hall passes. We are a 1:1 school.

11: We have zero all-remote teachers. DH's school has designated teachers for all remote.

13: We must wear masks in common areas and whenever another person is present in our classroom.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-14-2020, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It’s not like I feel like I’m above cleaning the surfaces, I just don’t feel like I would want to expose myself to that kind of risk for what they paid me. I was already picking up trash off the floor and trying to leave the room as I found it, so I just don’t need one more thing to do.

Last edited by Fractured; 08-14-2020 at 01:07 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I donít know why, but for years now Iíve wiped down the tables in my lower grade classrooms at the end of the day. I started during a nasty flu season a few years ago. Iíve had teachers thank me for a clean smelling room. I donít really have a problem with wiping down desks. Iím more frustrated with mask enforcement that will come with a return to in person classes. For now Iíll do my little virtual gig and be happy. One day at a time.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 08-14-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I meant teacher desks, not kids' desks. Teachers will have a cart with their supplies. It also has a pull out table to put their laptops on. I'm sure they're not happy about this change. Back in the old days, I remember going into rooms with 2 or 3 desks for the teacher to use.

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

All over the board
Old 08-15-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Everyone's plan seems to be so different. Our school does not do screening temp checks. Our doors and windows stay closed. Our older kids sit 3 to an 8-person round table in the cafeteria. Our elementaries have spread out lunch tables into the gym (they are not hybrid). Substitutes will not be monitoring at-home kids. I think other teachers help for high school. MS is just self-paced on their home day. Classrooms are the same except soft surfaces are removed (hooray for no bean bag chairs!) and desks are spaced farther. The teacher desk is unchanged. Students rotate classes as usual (staggered) at half-capacacity. We have at least one teacher working remotely who has an IA in the classroom for supervision. This seems like a crazy expense, but it is a subject that would be hard to fill. I was worried about the cleaning, but ours is easy. We spray disinfectant solution on the occupied desks (8-12, takes less than a minute). Incoming students get a paper towel to wipe their desks if it is wet. Hasn't been a big deal at all. I was picturing myself on my knees scrubbing away with a mop bucket and toothbrush.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

One of my districts offered us a 4 hour paid COVID training session and to update our bullying training. I am actually looking forward to this and will report back whether its similar or different to other districts mentioned here. Note, I think all windows should definitely be opened. You need fresh air flow, unless your school has an advanced HVAC filter for its AC system.

The other district I work for has not sent anything to subs since March, and they are my larger district. They are still planning on going the hybrid route, but have an upcoming BOE meeting scheduled, so hoping they decide to stay on the hybrid course too.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Our district is doing teachers rotating
Old 08-20-2020, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Class to class for each grade level in grades 6-8. Luckily, except for the science teachers, who are all upstairs in the 6th grade wing, each grade has its own wing, so not too bad. But all teachers will have at least one class in the science rooms. It will be a hike.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

first day of the year, first covid day
Old 08-26-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

its depressing to see the little faces in dirty masks from home, the district just got them in today.

janitorial goes all out all night, UV-c emitters get to every room every night for 15 minutes for covid, longer if a more serious virus or disease is detected in a student. restrooms are sanitized throughout the day, same with playground, only two classes out at a time, specific areas only, other than every food item in an individual baggie, and no trays, (take out boxes) the workload for the poor lunch ladies went way up.
car line took an hour longer, cant put kids in the gym, 10 cars at a time, called by cell phone, then kids retrieved 10 at a time, notified on the smartboards.

sped is maxxed out, more paras were hired to reduce the ratio, unusual rooms have been utilized to spread them out.

lots of sanitizer, masks on when not distanced, traffic control in the halls, with classes leaving at odd times to eliminate crossing with another class, lunches spaced out to 1/3 capacity, some classes get really early lunches and some really late. they added a recess to minimize the effects of masks on the kids. (I liked that)
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote