Help

Substitute Teachers

High risk group

>

elepen

High risk group
Old 08-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How many of you are in a high risk age group and are putting off subbing for now. My district is a hybrid model online and in person. They start this Monday and there are tons of jobs. Iím 71 and am pretty healthy but still.

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Possibly
Old 08-27-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I sub in three middle school and high school districts and have not decided what to do yet. I am 62 and my husband is 67, he has some underlying issues. If and when my schools go back it looks like theyíre mostly going to be on block schedule which means I would no longer be able to run to the restroom between classes which I desperately need to because of a medical condition, I have great difficulty wearing a mask more than about an hour, and some of my schools are not air-conditioned and one is under construction and Iím not even sure on a three minute passing I could make it to the restroom because of all the barriers. So I am still keeping an eye on what each of my districts are actually going to do within the next few weeks, and I am contemplating my options. I definitely want to have a job in these districts when this pandemic is over and we go back to not wearing masks and having all block schedules.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 08-27-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CC96

Iím with you and I miss the students. Itís a waiting game now
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Iíve signed up.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But my district isnít starting until Monday. I only do grades 6-12, so am not as worried about students wearing masks. I guess a lot of parents are keeping their kids home, so classes are very small, at least at the middle school. High school has only freshmen and sophomores in attendance. Iíll probably go in, especially now that my unemployment is only $100 a week. Ugh! Iím 65.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-27-2020, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All three of my districts are online only, but the parking lots at all the elementary schools in my local district are full.

My largest district said most teachers were choosing to teach from home, so I suspect my smaller local district requires the teachers to be on campus.

I should walk over to the school and ask one of them.

I have not been selected for online training at any district, which does not say much for my relative value.

So much for 23 years of subbing seniority.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 08-27-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am in the 55-60 age group and relatively healthy. My DH is in the 60-65 age group and not as healthy. I took a job as a full time building sub. One building (K-2) for the whole year. There are 3 of us, so we are each specifically working for one grade level. I'm not too worried. I believe we need to start getting back into a routine soon.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-27-2020, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a virtual support sub job until the person I am currently covering comes back from her leave. It is an aid position. We will be virtual til the end of the first quarter. Iím 64 and do have one underlying condition and have had cancer. DH said itís time to stop, but Iím bored and like the little extra income. Only time will tell at this point, but if I do go back it will be to 3 schools max. Itís a very large district.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-28-2020, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I guess one district is going to give us online training, but there is no word if they will give us computers to actually sub online for classes. Other districts are still asking us to do the training, even though they aren’t saying anything about virtual subbing.

I just wish they would be transparent as I’m sure this is going to throw a wrench into UI benefits and if I can actually get work or not. I don’t want to go in person as N95 masks are being recommenced by health professionals, and they are going for about 50 dollars for a four pack. I’m fine with sitting out the year.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Bodhimom2

Old 08-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They are making us use little chromebooks and we have to sign in as a student
Bodhimom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 08-28-2020, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm 56 but my immune system is compromised. They do have subs for virtual learning but no training has been offered. I don't think I will sub this year. It's not worth the the stress and possibility of illness.

Learn Today is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am high risk being 62 with diabetes, while trying to care for my clinically depressed 87 year old mother as my only family.

I will need to wait if in person learning starts soon.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-28-2020, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is another reason why Congress should have gotten an extension of the Cares act together. People like us have no idea how much we can work or if we will even be offered work.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote