Substitute Teachers

Have any of you subs taught online yet?

>

Onl

Onl

Have any of you subs taught online yet?
Old 08-22-2020, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any of you subs taught online yet? What are the pros and cons with your online distant learning teaching? Maybe they will soon start making schools be daycares for students, where the students are online doing distant learning while the sub watches them (as they are socially distanced).

Ohiosubbie

Ohiosubbie

Doesn’t look to be an option
Old 08-23-2020, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I highly doubt that will be an option for local schools around here. Know an online only teacher and that place has other teachers cover.

Although a few years ago our governor proposed the solution you mention:

The idea was to have ‘master’ teachers designated in subjects. They would be remote and students would sit in classroom with subs. (although he was thinking anyone would do - no degree needed)

This way our rural schools could save money by having master teachers out there conducting class so the schools could save money.

Subtastic

Old 08-23-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got the impression at substitute training that remote assignments won't be an option. If the teacher is out, he will give them work to do for the days he's out. When we are in school though, we are expected to make sure the remote students are signed in and monitor them.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like subtastic mentioned, that will probably not be an option. I haven't heard a thing about it and I've already gone through all the training.

All I know is I've had to teach using distance learning a few times before and loathed every minute of it.

Last edited by subasaurus; 08-24-2020 at 09:10 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 08-26-2020, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our schools are all remote, but teachers (and subs) still report to their home schools, and they still teach in their own classrooms, it's just through a computer screen. Teachers were told if they were going to be absent, they still had to get a sub, just as if we were in-person / like any other school year. So it looks like there will still be a need for subs here.

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-29-2020, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One district I sub in is in-person 5 days a week with the option of staying home and learning remotely. The desks in these classrooms are spread out like in schools of old and there is a camera on a tripod in the front center of the room. Teachers wear a wireless microphone. I have a couple of days in late September with this district will be interested to see what they expect of me. Will I be on camera or just passing out and collecting worksheets.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Subs
Old 08-29-2020, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are full remote through Christmas, and subs are not employed by our district. They had always been “at will” and on a call list through our regional office of education. As teachers, we are required to have a “buddy” teacher that is added as a teacher to all of our Google classrooms. We must have two weeks of assignments made up ahead of time. This way if a teacher gets sick, the buddy teacher can post their assignments and keep kids in the loop. “Live” would just be canceled until the teacher returned.

They had originally planned to hire one permanent sub per building. This person would just be doing busy work, clerical work, whatever needed doing until subbing as needed. However, they couldn’t find anyone who was even willing to just stay hone and be on the roll, let alone be in the building doing busy work.

We even had a long term sub cancel on us. He was supposed to cover a sped teacher while she student taught (emergency cert). He’s worked with us for a long time, but he is older and did not feel comfortable coming in. I think that’s the issue as a whole - the subs don’t feel comfortable risking their life especially for $75/day, and not should they! It’s not worth it!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote