Help

Substitute Teachers

California Subs

>

Historylov

California Subs
Old 08-10-2020, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district began distance learning this week. No in-person instruction at all. I'm worried that because of this we will no longer be needed. If districts aren't utilizing subs at this time can we continue to collect unemployment?

Historylov is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Edd
Old 08-11-2020, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would believe yes, until you are being offered jobs and/or your EDD runs out, and donít forget there is an extra 13 weeks added to your unemployment because of the virus. Once you start getting offered jobs that you would normally take, you have to report those when you recertify every two weeks. And most likely at that point your EDD would be less or stop depending on what you work or are offered.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Special instructions?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've already seen two jobs come up: 1 for 2-days 1st grade and 1 3rd grade half-day. But no special instructions, i.e. is it virtual as this district is doing, and what can I expect? I'd like to know what's involved before I accept. As long as there is no special instructions to clarify job I won't be taking any jobs where I go 'in blind.'

This is on aesop frontline online postings. Didn't call the schools because the jobs were listed after hours and, as I said, didn't want to go in blind.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-11-2020, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I already received six job offers for the first day of school today. Four of the offers had no teachers, and I was told by the aesop system to report to the main office.

One of the schools told me that they were asked to provide a list of subs to receive online training, but I was never contacted for training. The secretary said some subs did receive training.

Since I did not accept these jobs, I hope I can still select the option that I did not refuse work on the re-certification form, since I received no preparation for these online jobs and had no idea what to do.

All the jobs are gone, so someone did get training, or they just decided to blindly take them.

I left a message with our sub tech who is working from home, but have heard nothing yet
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I would
Old 08-11-2020, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would strongly advise going ďradio silentĒ until they provide information as to what jobs entail and you decide what youíre gonna do about it.

bodhimom

Old 08-11-2020, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would agree with "radio silent.". That's what I'm doing. It isn't a true job offer if you don't know what you're getting into, imo.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-12-2020, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've definitely decided on the "radio silent" option for now. Several weeks ago, I got a text asking if I'd like to accept a one-day assignment for a high school secretary next December. Two weeks ago, there was another text that asked if I'd like to sub for a summer school secretary. In all my years of subbing I've never subbed for a secretary, and have never been asked to do it. I ignored both texts.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote
Trainsub

Trainsub

Trained subs
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A sub. Coordinator (calif.) told me that they have a few dozen subs already trained for distance learning. She said these trained subs could pick up the jobs. If I accept a job, it would be up to the site to let me sub or not. I am not trained in distant learning. I would think most of the subs trained are long term subs (for vacant positions). So only a handful of subs are trained for distant learning in the district. Most subs like me were not told this. I had to contact the sub. coordinator to find this out. They said they don't have anything scheduled for another distant learning training for subs.

Historylov

Ugh
Old 08-12-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There hasn't been a single sub job yet. All subs were sent a welcome back letter and some social distancing rules while on campus and that's about it. No information on training or anything. I'm sure some districts are still trying to figure out how to utilize subs but I wish they would keep us posted.

wilecoyote

Ca subs...what's up for fall???
Old 08-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ca subs, anyone know anthing more yet??
I've been trying to get answers and so far, no dice. Getting the radio silence treatment from district so far.

I know there's planned training for staff and teachers coming soon, but no mention of subs at all, though I think some of the comments here reg. certain subs already being contacted/trained is most definitely right. Not me yet though, and I don't know what to think.

Anyone know anything more yet???

wilecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-12-2020, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I learned more information today from my main district that has about 60 schools.

I learned that each school selected two subs, and that these subs are restricted to just this one school, at least for the rest of August.

I was told by one of the school secretaries that these selected subs were called in for online training on August 6 and/or 7.

I also learned that I am less popular than I thought, since I was not selected by any of the 60 schools. The six job offers I got came after the training, so they must have been due to others backing out.

It makes no sense though to offer a job to a sub who knows nothing and has not had the training.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 08-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That must feel like a slap in the face.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Sorry
Old 08-12-2020, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Since I did not respond to the letter about being interested in long-term subbing and getting online training, Iím sure I wonít have any job offers at least at the beginning of the year and maybe for a whole year who knows, which at this point is OK because Iím not sure what I want to do this year. I work a lot in one of my districts and have several teachers who request me, however I am kind of hoping itís just quiet throughout the fall.

Historylov

Old 08-12-2020, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I hear I've been with my district for 5 years. I'm usually requested by the secretaries but havent heard a thing. Just feeling a little discouraged and hurt since they prob really havent given me a second thought.

pt2014js

Old 08-13-2020, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I didn't get any notice, call, offer. But my feelings are not hurt. I don't feel stiffed.
These staff members are working in with the unknown, trying to figure out who,what how it will work, being up against a timeline and a changing dynamic.

I do wonder what type of work I will do instead of this.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

wilecoyote

Sirsubalot... interesting...any updates yet?
Old 08-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Sirsubalot... interesting...any updates yet?

I've heard something similar, that some subs already received training, but I haven't been contacted yet either. But our district doesn't start for another few weeks. Have been trying to get more info, but getting radio silence....

Aillya

Old 08-17-2020, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I received no communication since March about any of this, but tonight I got a call for a 3 month long term assignment at the elementary school level, from a school that's screwed me before. The age group was "first through third" grade, and there weren't any instructions in the call, so I just hung up. I have literally no idea what they'd expect from me, and they didn't even try to provide some clarity on it in the job description. It could've been in-person, it could've required me to log in and have a webcam, it could've been special ed, I had literally no idea. Class has been in session since last Thursday, so it's not like the school is clueless on the situation either. They just kept the job description intentionally vague, and I'm gonna be real pissed if this gets in the way of collecting unemployment since nobody in their right mind would accept a long term job at a school during covid time without at least SOME information going in.

I'm ranting a bit (in hindsight, the whole rest of this post is just a rant now), I just think it's stupid. You wouldn't expect anyone else to take a 3 month job knowing nothing about it, especially with all the liability and lack of job security we have, but when it comes to subbing they always think it's fine. The messed up part is, if they'd at least included in the notes for the job something like "this will be an in-person 2nd grade class", I would have considered it. But nope, nothing. Just show up and hope for the best.

Also the notion that they'd train a few favored subs in distance learning while leaving out hundreds without even formally dismissing them (assuming I'm understanding other people's posts properly), is infuriating on a professional level. What kind of high school clique bull#### is that? At least tell the people who didn't make the cut so they can make moves and find other jobs without expecting a call from you in September or something. Districts that do this sort of thing should end up on an online blacklist so that when this is over, everyone knows where to avoid imo. If mine does that to me, I'll be pissed. I know some people here are fine with being screwed and taken advantage of, but I've worked for this district for years and have taken tons of long term jobs for them in schools that nobody else ever wanted to work in when they were desperate and literally begging me to do it, all with 0 complaints in my file and people straight up asking for me directly at times. I've never dropped an assignment once I signed up for it, and I've taken pains to be as reliable for them as possible for the last five years even if it meant turning down an assignment that would've been really lucrative. To the extent that one can be a company man, I've been that. Aaaand it got me dropped in march, zero communication for nearly six months, and now this. I bet the night janitor who shows up to clean abandoned classrooms is getting more communication.

Last edited by Aillya; 08-17-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-17-2020, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Sadly, I think this shows that subs are just not valued, even if you thought you were in some schools. I would sub virtually, but I doubt that ever happens. I am just preparing to step away from teaching until covid is under control. I am still applying to teaching jobs, but virtual teaching seems like a nightmare. My friends are working 12 hour days sometimes.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

wilecoyote

Hey trains...thanks for this info, I think..
Old 08-30-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hey trains...thanks for this info...
are u in So. Cal?? I'm wondering caz I've been getting the radio silence treatment from my sub coordinator even though I've tried contacting her several times. Can't seem to get any info out of anyone else either. I think you're right though, just wondering if this is what's going on in my district too. It's so frustrating to not get any answers. Hate being in limbo-land wondering what the heck has happened to my job!
But if this is what they're doing, it's really disrespectful to all us hard working subs!