District just offered paid 90 minute WebMX and google classroom trainingng - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

District just offered paid 90 minute WebMX and google classroom trainingng

>

Sirsubalot

District just offered paid 90 minute WebMX and google classroom trainingng
Old 08-28-2020, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The bad news is that it is paid training, for a scant 90 minutes.

This means I will need to mark "yes" on my EDD re-certification form that I started school or training whether I have been paid or not. DARN!

I wonder if this is the ulterior motive to offer this training.

If anyone has had this training, please let us know what we can expect. My training is Tuesday Sept 1 from 12:30 to 2:00.

With a $300 stimulus set to begin again and retroactive to August 1, I wonder how many hundreds of dollars I might lose due to this brief training.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Bodhimom2

Old 08-28-2020, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was wondering the same thing with our 3-hour training. I wonder if they will just deduct the $80 from my unemployment.

On the other hand, I went, anyway, because I wanted to show that I made a "good faith effort." I didn't want to lose unemployment, in the future, for not showing that I at least "looked into it."

That way unemployment (or the district) can't say that I'm not interested in even looking for work.

Not sure I want to do 100% online "learning," though, with 25-30 students, when school just started a week ago and the teachers probably don't even have it down, yet.

My understanding is that I won't get the $300, though, because I only get $75/week in unemployment. Those here have said you have to make $100/week.
Bodhimom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bodhimom2

Unemployment
Old 08-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was planning on just saying that I "worked" for 3 hours. I would hardly call a 3-hour, one time thing "starting school or training." They are talking about a longer term thing, imho. That's what I'm going to do, anyway. I never even thought of it as "starting training or school." I think that is more for someone going into a new career, or something. That's how I look at it, anyway.
Bodhimom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I havenít...
Old 08-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I havenít heard anything about that $300 a week and being retroactive to August 1 been anything that is definite.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

training
Old 08-28-2020, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a 1 1/2 hour "training". It did not give me any info I did not get on a You tube video. I will not report this. I am not feeling online learning is going to be easy with no one reaching out to
help subs get acclimated. I also state in another post that all online learning is recorded. That is not something I feel comfortable with.

northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 08-28-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You should report any type of income you get, no matter how small it is. I cashed out sick pay in March and lost a week because I barely went over my weekly payout. Itís sucked to lose the 600 dollar bonus, but they will go back and charge you with fraud if you are claiming benefits and not reporting income.

I donít plan on ever seeing that 300 a week. With the hurricanes and amount of states applying for it now( I read it was 32), I donít expect the money to last very long. Maybe weíll see 3 weeks of it. Most news sources estimated to be 3 to 5 weeks worth. Iíd rather lose my weekly payout now then if they reinstate extension benefits .
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 08-29-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have taken some trainings. I reported them on my UI claim. It asks if you worked or trained that week and if you say "yes" you are asked to fill in the date, employer, and how much you will be paid. Yes, part of what you get paid will be deducted from your unemployment check, but so what? You earned money, it should be deducted. I took 12 trainings the week before school started and since it paid more than UI would have, I received $0 for that week from UI. I'd be worried at some distant date when they have time to review everything they'd ask me for money back!
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My concern is that EDD will do more than deduct the amount for training. We also were not told how much we will be paid, or when we will be paid.

I hope the EDD does not use this brief training as an excuse to withhold benefits, or to eliminate the $300 stimulus.

Is there a space to say "?" or "unknown", when asked how much we will
be paid.

Sublime

Old 08-30-2020, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sirsubsalot: No, you can not enter "unknown" for how much you were paid, at least for CA. Our sub coordinator had us fill out our regular time sheets and told us how much we would be paid for each training, so we knew. However, the first time we had trainings, earlier in the summer, I didn't report it until I actually got paid, which was wrong. The next time I recertified I put the amount on the form and put the amounts in under the dates on the form. So, the dates were wrong but I reported the earnings. I didn't know what else to do.

I just heard that CA will be paying $300 extra for 3 weeks only for now and if you earned money doing trainings or other work for the week and it brings down your UI benefits under $100 you don't get that $300 benefit. I hope this info is correct. Maybe google "unemployment benefits CA"? if you're in CA.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

So far
Old 08-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well so far, all of my trainings are pretty much the usual ones I have to do every year online and are unpaid. I will spend the hours upon hours completing them so that I don’t get dinged with “job abandonment.” However, I’m not sure if I will be offered jobs or if I will be able to take jobs. I do not have the technology skills or the ability to work block schedules— These were not job requirements when I was hired. So the scope of the job has definitely changed and in my mind should be taken into account if you can’t work in terms of still being able to get EDD.

Sirsubalot

Old 08-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If I am not told how much I will be paid, I will just estimate 25% of a full day and say I earned $37.50.

I will write EDD and tell them that this is a guess.

I also downloaded 40 pages of google classroom cheat sheets. They are confusing.

I am afraid my old stubborn brain might not be able to learn the technology.

The pages were more geared to regular teachers.

I am also concerned about the " 10 day minimum" number of workdays that are required each school year at each district to remain on staff for the following year. I hope they wave this requirement under these unusual circumstances.

bodhimom

Old 08-31-2020, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If I didn't know how much I would be paid (I put in a 1/2 days pay, but they didn't explicitly tell us), I would wait until I got paid and then report it. If they question you later, I think that is a valid defense.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-01-2020, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just had the training, but unfortunately needed to sign into a google account to practice with the group and I could not sign in for some reason. Also my computer froze for five minutes.

I therefore only understood some of the training, but we were told we would get lots of support.

We need to work from the classroom.

Our sub coordinator told us she was notifying EDD about all the available jobs posted on Aesop, so we could not say no work was available.

There is a two day 1st grade job for September 3 and 4, but it is dual language which we were told last year not to accept if we were not bi-lingual.

I would also like to begin with only a one day assignment so I am not stuck if the first day is a disaster.

bodhimom

Old 09-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our computers are freezing, but they expect us to run a class on a computer?

I called edd (California) to ask if I could still get unemployment if I'm not taking jobs because they're all 100% online, but it said that "edd was not available. " no way to leave a message. I couldn't find an email address. I would rather use email so I would have it in writing.

CC96

I am.....
Old 09-01-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am very interested to hear their answer, please keep us posted! Unfortunately my district did send me a district email today which means they havenít laid me off yet despite the fact that my technology skills, as I honestly indicated on the survey they sent me, are incredibly low. So, yeah, Iím still not sure how this is going to play out for me. I am literally taking it one day at a time. I know they wonít supposedly allow me to work until I finish all the training courses which I anticipate beginning next week. There are about 10 hours of annual online training. This is my lowest paying district and by the looks of the schedule, even if I work, it would be a three hour day which wouldnít be a full day of pay, and thatís assuming that none of those three hours involve a prep Which I would not be paid for; which would cut my pay down to two hoursónot worth the time and gas. School starts tomorrow and their system already crashed today as students were trying to log on to test the system. Oh joy! I still say we should be able to get EDD if the only jobs available are ones that we were completely not hired or qualified foró example online teaching, block schedule etc. Honestly this is a nightmare! Prior to Covid, I planned on subbing another 8-10 years. Now, I may have to quit until things go back to normal and sadly, that is a BIG IF! Then I would have to reapply and start from scratch.

bodhimom

Old 09-01-2020, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I tried looking for an email address where I could get an answer in writing, but all I would ever get are "info" websites. No way to ask a unique question. Finally, I got frustrated and quit. I'll try calling again, tomorrow. I guess the worst that could happen would be I would have to return the money. Not that it's that much, anyway. Sucks that I can't even find someone to ask. The district hasn't said any6about me not getting it.