Help

Substitute Teachers

OMG-First week in person

>

FBMidwest

OMG-First week in person
Old 09-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, our first week is in the books, 4 days actually. The school called me a week before school to ask me to sub for a SPED teacher for Wed - Fri of this first week. (I go in and out of 2 specific regular classrooms to help out.) I wasn't really planning on subbing for a few weeks, just to see how this all plays out. But, since they called me personally, I agreed. (This was elementary school)

Hmmm, not sure about all of these precautions. Kids are wearing masks. Except when the masks are hanging around their necks. Except when some of the kids are chewing on the masks. Do parents wash these masks each night? Didn't look like it to me. (Each student was provided with 5 cloth masks free of charge) Most are so dirty and gross, I can't imagine they are preventing any spread of germs.

There are those plastic dividers around each spot on the tables. Which might be helpful if the students were at their table spots. Most lessons were held at the carpet with students right next to each other and talking in each other's faces.
We have a low level of cases in the area, but these Precautions seem to be not that useful at this age level.

FBMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yikes.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Except when the masks are hanging around their necks. Except when some of the kids are chewing on the masks.
This is exactly what I feared.

How are young children expected to keep them on all day long?

Perhaps schools should wait on the reopening thing. It's still not safe yet.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Safe
Old 09-07-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I keep hearing the phrase “ not safe yet” it won’t be safe until we have a good and safe vaccine that at least 75% of the population will get. The virus is not going anywhere. Not trying to start a debate— just stating the obvious 😢
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@cc96
Old 09-08-2020, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"Still not safe" means exactly what it means.

Yes, the wording is a bit vague, but it means schools shouldn't open because it's far too risky to do so.

I agree with you though:

Without a vaccine this will not end well.

My sister works in infectious disease and says things are not looking optimistic as long as people don't follow social distancing guidelines.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote