Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing is going to be bizarre.

>

subasaurus

Subbing is going to be bizarre.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Haven't gone back to work yet. Schools in my area don't open until the second week of September.

All I know is this: Our jobs are going to be bizarre. And incredibly random.

I'm not prepared to be a: nurse, tech support, custodian, psychiatrist, internet vlogger, or security guard.

Remember when teaching was teaching? I miss those days very much. I miss NORMAL.

And I have no clue what I'll do if schools need to close again due to a second wave of the virus.

Bizarre stuff ahead. College never prepared us for these volatile times. We aren't teachers anymore... we're expected to be virtual parents with infectious disease PhD's.

And how on earth are lockdown drills going to work in the era of social distancing??

Last edited by subasaurus; 08-30-2020 at 02:15 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One worry I have is if virus will be more again if they start to reopen most things all over .

Or is it stay like flu rest of life ?
On and off spiking ?

It is time to get one more job with subbing .
Safe side .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 08-31-2020, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nobody knows with the new virus. Could end up like the flu, but nobody really knows. That's the scariest part of it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 08-31-2020, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I read somewhere that the virus has the potential to mutate as well. Ugh.

Again, I miss normal so very much.

Fractured

Old 08-31-2020, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It has mutated from the original version. There was a version that spread to Europe and that was what hit the East Coast and I think the China one hit the west coast initially. Viruses mutate, but it didnít make it any more lethal.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have two days in this week, yesterday and today. While I would not necessarily describe them as bizarre they were odd to say the least.

Monday - middle school social studies (world history). I've been in for this teacher before and have had no complaints. But when I get to his room there is another sub sitting there reviewing the lesson plans. I ask her what is up and she says that she is the building sub and she will be covering the class today. I go to the office and I'm told to "hang tight" that they are coming up with something for me. I'm standing there when the principal calls me into her office and tells me that they need me to be flexible and will be giving me assignments throughout the day. Basically I ran from room to room giving teachers "fresh air breaks." Teachers stood in the hallway during class time with their masks off.

Tuesday - today. I was scheduled to be a 5th grade teacher who I've been in for before. I get to the school and I'm told I'm not teaching 5th grade, I'll be the rover (district's term for floater) and go from classroom to classroom offering and providing help as needed. By the time announcements are on I have visited every classroom including the encore (specials) classrooms and no one needs my help. I go back to the office and I'm told to go to Mrs. Smith's room (not her real name). She has taken pity on me and is saving me from a day of boredom. I think she just wanted someone to talk to since she had four special needs students and no aide. She told me all about her summer.

Tomorrow is a cleaning day for this district. Three of my districts are starting back on September 8th, the other two have already started back but I haven't seen any jobs from them. These two formed a partnership last school year to share subs and I suspect they are using building subs extensively.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 09-02-2020, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm surprised they would switch you if you scheduled for a particular teacher. I thought that was what a building sub would do...go room-to-room as needed each day? That is a big reason I declined to be a building sub. I wanted to keep control of where I work. If you have a good relationship with whoever assigns you, could you tactfully ask her about it?
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Yayasub
Old 09-02-2020, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found the switching odd as well; but as my grandma used to say I go along to get along. I didnít want to create waves so early in the school year when everything is so uncertain.

subasaurus

@subman
Old 09-02-2020, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sounds like you basically got bait and switched to be a floater. Twice.

That is my biggest fear... Having to run around like crazy, filing in for every teacher in the grade I'm not even scheduled to teach.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Not a fan.

Thanks for the updates and info about your day. I appreciate hearing about other's experiences so I know what I might need to be prepared for right now with everything going on.

Wishing you better luck for the future. Although in these crazy times it feels like we're lucky just to have a job. Ugh.

pt2014js

Old 09-03-2020, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would just decline the position. I'm over 65 and it would not be safe for me to go into each room. too many people. --Yikes!
Not good.

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-04-2020, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

And it happened again.

Quote:
Sounds like you basically got bait and switched to be a floater. Twice.
I picked up Thursday and Friday of this week at the same middle school; IEP coverage on Thursday and a request from a teacher for Friday.

Thursday the job is deleted at 5am, but I pick up another job at a school closer to home.

Friday I get to the school and, guess what, I'm switched again! I'm to cover for a teacher that hit a deer on the way in, no lesson plans, everything is supposedly on Google classroom. Teacher shows up during homeroom. Office tells me to walk the school looking for teachers to help. No one needs my help so I go to the library and ask if they need help, nope no help needed.

I'm sitting in the teacher lunch room waiting for the bell for the next class to repeat my search for something to do when the principal shows up and tells me I'm being sent home at 10:56 - a half day. I had a full day, now it's a half day.

She jokes about how I get to start the weekend early . I'd rather have the money. Being switched to a half day cost me $45.00.

I think I'm done with this school.

[/QUOTE]

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sounds weird to me. Why didn't they just tell you it was because they hit a deer? I think I'd vote with my feet. Then they wonder why they don't have enough subs.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@subman
Old 09-06-2020, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow, what a mess. Sounds like a royal pain.

I haven't returned to work yet, but I fear I'll have a similar experience to what you're describing.

I hope I'm wrong.

I agree you should dump that district.

Aillya

Old 09-10-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I'm not prepared to be a: nurse, tech support, custodian, psychiatrist, internet vlogger, or security guard.
All for the same pay as last year, by the way.

"Why can't we find anyone to do this job???" Big ol' mystery.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote