Help

Substitute Teachers

Help on lesson planning?

>

Ohana

Help on lesson planning?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok I am a long term fourth grade sub who is not certified. I am self-contained.
Any resources on lesson planning?
My team isn't of much help.

Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-12-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have they given you curriculum guides or teacher manuals? Do you know where the class was? Are you remote or in person? Do you know what standards you should be addressing?

Someone at the school should give you guidance. Is there a lead teacher or instructional coach? Can you ask one of the teachers where you should look for lesson planning guidance?

We would never throw a long term sub in without guidance. One year I made all the plans for a long term sub for months for their class as a guide until they were more ready to take over planning. Even then, they needed a lot of gudance and help from the team.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's why I don't take longterm sub jobs - not even 3 days.

When I took a previous 3 day job in the past, and I was confused, I told the office and they hooked me up with the department head. If they couldn't do that. I'd ask the principal. You don't have to be rude, just say you need help. The principal would probably want to know what is going on. If that doesn't help, I'd try to get out of it.

I got out of a different long-term job that had been a bait and switch. I called the school and I told her that it wasn't what was presented, and I didn't want the sub coordinator to ding me for it. I then emailed the sub-coordinator and told her what happened.

You need to be assertive. Don't let them blame you. If they want us to do everything the teacher does, they should pay us as a teacher. Until then, they should plan everything.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I donít...
Old 10-12-2020, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I donít typically take long-term sub jobs at all, however, I did do two weeks in a MS science class once and the teacher was super chill and just left me a general idea of what he wanted accomplish and what he wanted the students to learn and left it up to me as to what to do each day. At another school I actually went in in February and finished the entire school year for a teacher who was very ill and not going to return. I completely took over the class grading/lesson planning, however, that was a private school. The only way I would take a long-term sub job in the future after Covid is if it was for one of my favorite teachers and I highly doubt I would ever do more than two weeks because I do not want to get into having to do grading, IEPĎs, extensive lesson planning etc.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

One thought...
Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, maybe two. I'm a little confused by what you mean "self-contained." That typically applies to special ed?

Be that as it may, I'd suggest you do some poking around on different forums and would bet that you'll find some teachers willing to help. I often visit the "Busy Board" but I think you'll be able to find something much more specific.

Don't be bashful. I've found some of the other forums to be very helpful! I raise the "self-contained" question because you'll want to be clear and specific. There can be a lot of variation in fourth grade, including whether or not the kids change teachers and rooms for different subjects. You may want to include what subjects you are are looking for help with, for example.

Good luck! Have fun! I think t he opportunity to work with the same kids in the same room is exciting... you're fortunate to have it--very often "non-certified" subs don't get the opportunity!

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote