Help

BusyBoard

Group Project Dilemma...HELP!

>

Teacherbee_4

Group Project Dilemma...HELP!
Old 10-18-2020, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, my students have been working on a group project using technology. While they are doing it in a group, they can divide things up and work on it separately as well. However, when I designed the rubric, I designed it for the overall project: the whole thing, not just the individual parts or pieces some students did. However, I did include a part about group work/team work, etc. One parent let me know this weekend that her son is doing most of the work. As I've looked through the projects so far (I have access via technology), it seems like some sections of the individual projects are done and done well. Others, not so much. Typically, those really good students did a really good job and those who don't really care didn't. I'm wondering what I should do? They are due on Tuesday, and we have had 7 class periods to work on them. Towards the halfway point, I looked at their progress and gave them suggestions. Again, the good students took the suggestions on their part and the others didn't. I'm wondering the best way to go about this? Do I change my grading rubric? I want to be fair to the kids who did the work. However, we've been working on this for awhile and the project is 60 points. If I change it, it will be less. We've done this in place of other little things that would give them points in the grade book, so I don't know how I could do this fairly. My other thought was looking through them tonight, giving them "final feedback" and let the work on finishing that up tomorrow. I could extend the due date (with or without class time) to give them time to make the changes...but again, I'm sure some changes will be made and some won't. Do I ask each group who is doing what and submit that to me? Thoughts? This is 4th grade, so I don't want to be too harsh.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-18-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would find a way for every student to submit a public response detailing what part of the project they did. Maybe use a Google Form?

Last edited by anna; 10-18-2020 at 02:36 PM..
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-18-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Anna. I would have each student present their piece of the project and grade the individuals.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-18-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is why I stopped doing group projects. But, when I did them I had kids fill out rubrics grading their team mates. That was a separate grade. I found the kids were more than fair in their assessments of their classmates.

I do agree with the pps in having them present their parts.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is exactly why I changed my project policy.

You could work alone or in a group. If you chose to work in a group each person had to do equal amounts of work, and grades were given to each person for their part.

That doesn't help you right now though....I think I would offer another revision time, extending the due date. I'd clearly states this was to make sure you did everything you are supposed to do. I'd add a second rubric for individuals. Then both grades could be used. This way it wouldn't hurt those who worked hard as much and the slackers wouldn't get all the glory for minimum effort.

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Grading
Old 10-18-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For the project, they needed certain information. They divided up who was responsible for what. For the rubric, each piece of required information/section was given a spot on the rubric worth points. If I only grade what they do, do I change the amount of points? Do I convert the grade they got to the scale based on the actual rubric-meaning each section is worth 5 points, so if I grade their 2 sections, do I give them a score out of 10 and then convert that to out of 60? Or do I just make it worth 10 points? That doesn't seem like a lot for a project we spent all of this time on. I know how to fairly grade them for the parts they each played. I just don't know how to fairly give the content a grade if they are each responsible for certain parts, if that makes sense!

Summerwillcom

I love group projects, but not group
Old 10-18-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

grades. Even in my MA program, we had a lazy, undependable teammate we were assigned to work with for the entire term. If a few of us did not do his part, our group would have done poorly. 1/2 of the time he seriously showed up w/ nothing done. He was a really good BSer and had the professors conned.

To save the project and grades you have to do now, how about adding to the rubric the words:
Surprise Bonus! Take however many points you need 10-20??
Explain to the kids you decided to give them a surprise, so it does not look like you are changing the rubric. Let them know that certain people in the group gave 100% effort or helped their team mates a lot. Then give the bonus points to those kids who earned them.

You are not taking away points, so no1 can snivel.
Plus, I used to have the kids rate themselves and each other. Then discuss the slips. I did not use names unless it was a positive report. If the rating was low b/c of someone's misbehavior, I'd add to the note enough detail that the guilty party could figure out it was about them too.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-18-2020, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do like Greyhound Girl suggested and I have each team member fill out a teamwork rubric at the end of the project. That is a separate grade. There are several on TPT if you need ideas what to include on one. The kids know who is and who isn't doing the work and they are usually more generous with their grading than I would be.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

"Defense of Grade"
Old 10-18-2020, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach fifth and/or sixth, depending on the year.

For group projects or simulations, I have students write a defense of grade detailing what grade they believe they earned, and what they did to earn it. I also allow them to "grade" team members. I tell them that another student's opinion doesn't determine their grade, but I would look at their opinions.

Since we've all seen students who end up with most of the work, I see group projects as a learning tool, not an assessment. Embedded all along through a project, there are individual responsibilities or assessments that determine individual grades.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks! I think I will expand the due date by one day. Tomorrow I'll meet with individual groups again and explain what more still needs to be done. Then, I'll do the bonus points idea for those who really did well on their part.

Teacherbee_4

Update
Old 10-19-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Today I met with each group individually. I looked at each individual part of the project and gave them feedback. I gave them the rest of class time today and I will give them tomorrow in class as well. Then it will be due on Wednesday; therefore, I postponed the due date by one day. I'm also planning on having the kids fill out a form outlining what parts they did. I think the kids will be able to make the changes and will actually make the changes, and therefore, I don't think the grade will be a major problem. If someone did really well on their part of other parts weren't good, and it lowered their score, then I'll give surprise bonus points like a pp suggested. However, all of the improvements were doable and many were willing to help their group members. I still have a group aspect as part of the grade, so some individuals in the group will get lower anyway because they didn't do their part until now/last minute.

TAOEP

Different take on a group project
Old 10-19-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was talking with our 6th grade grandson yesterday. For a STEM class, each student was given identical "random" objects, such as plastic cups, cardboard tubes, etc. For the group component, the students met virtually with their group and jointly decided what they would make. Then each student had to make the exact same "invention."

I assume that there would be a group grade, based on the plan and how it reflected the requirements of the project. And then there would be an individual part showing how well the student followed the plan, perhaps creative flair, neatness of construction, etc. Interesting way to structure a group project so that everyone works.

There was also an individual portion, where each student created whatever they dreamed up themselves.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote