Substitute Teachers

Turning down work

>

A1substitute

A1substitute

Turning down work
Old 09-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone turned down work and continued to get unemployment where they reported they turned down work for COVID reasons?

turnung

turnung

down work
Old 09-30-2020, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am turning down work this year, not willing to take risk.

Nietzsche

Old 10-01-2020, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
A1substitute's Message:

Has anyone turned down work and continued to get unemployment where they reported they turned down work for COVID reasons?
What exactly do you mean by turning down work? There is a difference between turning down work and not accepting an available job.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

And there is a difference with turning down a job we're not qualified for. Imho
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think the cares act initially covered you for not wanting to return to work if you felt it was unsafe. Most people should be in the 13 week extension by now, so Iím not sure if that is still a reason they would consider. Check out your state website.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote
A1substitute

A1substitute

Reject work
Old 10-01-2020, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just filed late for unemployment - I certified all weeks till the day I refused a job.
I was asked to do a long term unknown length of time job distance learning by hr. I spoke to the hr and declined the job because I have 3 kids distance learning at home and no other childcare. So I did not just ignore it - I was directly asked.
A1substitute

A1substitute

COVID childcare
Old 10-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It does list not being able to work because of COVID school closures.
I do work for my kids schools.

Nietzsche

Old 10-03-2020, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
A1substitute's Message:

I just filed late for unemployment - I certified all weeks till the day I refused a job.
I was asked to do a long term unknown length of time job distance learning by hr. I spoke to the hr and declined the job because I have 3 kids distance learning at home and no other childcare. So I did not just ignore it - I was directly asked.
I filed for unemployment immediately after the schools shut down last March 13th. I was immediately approved. I've been receiving payments since then. I have worked one to three days every week since 8/31. I don't receive phone calls so I don't "turn down" jobs. I have found some schools and teachers aren't taking this very seriously. I had one teacher who had a seating chart with kids sitting close together when they could've been spread around the room. In some schools, students don't want to wear masks and/or don't cover their nose with the mask. I had one boy who instead of wearing a mask, had a plastic shield hanging from the visor of a baseball cap. Luckily, I had an N95 and wore it all day with the windows open.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
A1substitute

A1substitute

extention
Old 10-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It appears that they have paid me for every week. A few days the week I refused a job and put it on the form were pending. Now they are paid and I have no paid on the last week of my funds. It then says on extention.

mommysubs

Old 10-04-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I no longer qualify for unemployment, but I do reject alot of jobs. I homeschool and cite the reason as "childcare". I am trying to limit myself to two jobs a week because I am teaching my kids this year and hoping to minimize risk of bringing something home to my family. The fact that I have to do this at all this year with the risk of bringing something home is very stressful.

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-05-2020, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm certifying, right now, and it says that I have to be "willing to accept suitable work " I don't have technical skills, so subbing 100% online is not suitable work, imo.

CC96

Bodimom?
Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That seems to be a change of wording from EDD, because last time I certified it said “did you refuse any work.” So that would be great if they have changed it to that. I will have to wait until next Sunday to see because that’s when I have to certify. Thanks

Last edited by CC96; 10-05-2020 at 09:23 AM..
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-06-2020, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I believe it did say that, in the questioning part but what I saw wasn't one of the questions.

I wish I would have taken a picture of it, now, in case I need it later, to defend myself, in case they have "no idea what I'm talking about." If I see it again, I will.

I also noticed that in one place it said that because of covid, we don't have to be actively looking for work (I DID take a picture of that one), but in another place it said that you have to make 3 contacts for a job each week. Maybe different if it is covid-related? It said we didn't have to look for work "until further notice."

I don't know. Maybe something changed because I'm on an extension?

I'm going to keep taking pictures.

pt2014js

make 3 contacts for a job each wee
Old 10-14-2020, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

yikes. I do some work online self employed. So my 13 weeks is stretched out a bit due to earning.
I have not answered any calls for a job online at school, but I know that jobs have been popping up here and there.

Not sure if I would be able to see and click through all the links and codes, to see a group of students smiling at me or staring.

It sure would be nice to sit with someone to see the process
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

If a job is available to you, but you ignore it, then YES that is turning down work. Especially if the school district calls you to come in and you tell them no. Be VERY careful certifying for unemployment IF your school district is meeting in person! Lying on those certification questions can lead to huge consequences like $50,000 fines in some states! Do what you want, but dont say I didn't warn you.

FYI, I have worked EVERY day since Sept 15 and doing perfectly fine. No reason to be scared if you wear a mask and keep your distance from others.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

IMO it is whether it is a job you would have taken, before. I agree that if a district has jobs available online AND in person, I would take jobs, though, because that would be hard to defend.

I'm new to this, it's the first time I've been on unemployment, in my life, but I highly doubt that if you have a reasonable defense, that they will fine you $50,000. The most they will do, imo, is make you pay back the money.

In fact, there was someone on this list, a long time ago, that mentioned having to pay back money. I wouldn't stress out good people with a reasonable defense that they will be fined $50,000.

That is probably for people blatantly defrauding the system.

I'm getting excited, though, because my county is doing better and I'm hoping we'll go to hybrid, soon. I make twice as much money, working one day, then I get in an entire week of edd (I don't get the $300).

Last edited by bodhimom; 10-19-2020 at 10:49 AM..