The VENT

Hair in kids faces

>

learn

Hair in kids faces
Old 10-15-2020, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
Is there a polite way of telling parents to cut their kid's hair? Especially those that their kids have focus issues, are failing almost everything but their hair is in their face all day long....Jeez Louise!

Second grade and kids still don't know how to tie their shoes either and their shoes are constantly off.

Tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Are you teaching in person?
Old 10-15-2020, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There used to be a book that taught kids to tie shoes. It actually had shoe laces attached, each one a different color, to show the kid how to do it, and they could practice alone. Maybe get something like that if you are actually with the kids. It really helped my son. My daughter just went into the bedroom at age three and screamed for two hours while she figured it out herself. We discovered later that three different people had shown her three different methods. No wonder she was frustrated!
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Kids hair
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is this really a hill you want to die on? Maybe what you are trying to tell parents is “can you please help me find a way to get your child to stay focused for 5 minutes.”

Maybe suggested to child to put a clip in it while on screen.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 10-15-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't dare say anything about hair. Not my kid.

Tying shoes - yes. Please help your child learn to tie his shoes or get velcro shoes as loose shoelaces are a tripping hazard. They need to keep their shoes on in school. It's a public place.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree- there is no way I'd touch the topic of hair with a 10ft pole. Like keltikmom, I'd specifically focus on asking for tips on engaging their students. I think lots of kids with long hair falling in their faces focus just fine- I really don't think it's the hair that's causing the lack of focus. Any comments suggesting parents do something to their child's hair could blow up in your face, fast.

Tying shoes can be related to expectations for 2nd grade, so that's something you could bring parents in on. Personal appearance- no way.

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 10-15-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If anyone could help me figure out a way to get my own child to pull her hair back! My first girl hated having me touch her hair so we cut it and that solved that! My second girl wants her hair long. She will let me put it in a ponytail but doesn't seem to notice or care as her hair falls out or gets tangled.

I taught second grade and shoes were an issue. You could offer a little reward for a kid that learns to tie their shoes. Asking parents to help with that is acceptable in my opinion.
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 10-15-2020, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

School rule is that long hair has to be tied back and not in the face. Done.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-15-2020, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A few years ago I had a 2nd grader who had bangs fully covering her eyes. She used them to "hide behind" and not engage. I had no qualms telling mom they were getting in the way of her learning at conferences. Mom said, "She won't let me cut them." Umm, she's 8. You're in charge. I suggested she clip them back then. Nope. Can't fix people who won't parent.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

2nd Grade
Old 10-15-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nope, nope - on the hair.

Shoes, though - I taught second for five years. There were always a couple who didn’t know how and my response was always to find a friend to help you. You’d be amazed how many kids will jump to tie someone else’s shoes. Don’t know how or if that would work in the time of Covid. You could also provide lacers - and have them practice tying.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Old 10-15-2020, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Check out some of the shoe tying videos on YouTube. Watch them someday when you have 5 extra minutes. Kids will think it is fun to tie their shoes.

This is my favorite way to teach kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVR8hHBQyM

Tons of others. You could show a different video each day. Their ticket to lunch is tied shoes.

Have fun with it!

k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Shoes
Old 10-15-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The hair is a tough one. You know the kid, the family, and the situation best. I think that if the hair is really a distraction you will be able to find concrete example to how it is impeding learning and be able to share that with parents. Keep it to the facts such as “There are times Suzy is not able to follow through with directions to get supplies out of her desk. She seems very preoccupied by her hair and is often playing with it. She might benefit from having her hair pulled back in a clip or ponytail to keep it from becoming a distraction for her.”

The shoes.....uuugghhh! I teach 4th grade this year and have 3 that cannot tie their shoes. Last year I had 1. I have less than 10 students in my class.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Just yesterday...
Old 10-15-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

One of my 6th graders was playing with his hair and talking about needing a hair cut. Next thing I know, he gets up and cuts his hair. I'm like.... You do know that barber shops are open. He says... Really?
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 10-16-2020, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My child still lacks fine finger coordination/skill to tie shoes..with practice she just can’t do it...she does reach milestones later tho,,plus she’s been outgrowing Velcro sizes so I double knot the tie shoes...I’ll check out those YouTube videos just to see if those can help at all.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Thank you...
Old 10-17-2020, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

for all the guidance. I did not mention anything about the hair, and I loved the idea of posting a video on how to tie shoe laces.

Thank you so much!
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-18-2020, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Just a word about shoe tying: there was a time when kids routinely learned shoe-tying at school. Even if they didn't have lace-up shoes, it was just part of what they did, usually in kindergarten and at the beginning of first grade. Of course, parents were expected to help with this. I remember getting a communication from my daughter's kindergarten teacher asking me to help her practice this skill and saying which method they were using.

Some parents of primary age children fall into the generation that learned to tie their shoes at school. But, as we've had more emphasis on testing and as most curriculum has moved so that kids are learning things a full year earlier than they used to, many schools/teachers don't take responsibility for this. They can't. Shoe tying isn't on any standardized test or benchmark. But, some parents are going to assume that it's still being taught at school. And, if their kid can't do it, they just buy velcro shoes until it suddenly starts being more difficult to find them in a big enough size. This is how you get second graders who can't tie their shoes.

My grandson's school simply sent home a communication in kindergarten telling parents that the school wouldn't be teaching shoe-tying nor would teachers be willing to tie shoes for children so they should plan accordingly. Of course, I'm sure that some parents totally ignored it.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote