Help

Kindergarten

Need advice on an observation

>

hikinghiker

Need advice on an observation
Old 10-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I changed schools last year around Christmas. I LOVE this school and really want to impress admin. So far, all my observations have been glowing.

I just had my first formal of the year on Thursday. Admin met with me and again said that they loved everything and I hit almost every single teacher standard I needed to hit this year just in that hour. The ones that I'm missing are the ones centers around children self assessing and correcting.

I'm having my next formal on Monday (literally 2 days after my last observation because admin and I agreed to just get them done) and this time she's seeing math. We're just learning teen numbers (Monday we'll be learning 14) so our 30 minute virtual small groups look like this:

- They come in. I introduce the number of the day. We practice counting that number with objects we brought to small group. This is pretty quick, we only do it once or twice.
- We watch the sesame street podcast on youtube for the NOTD (usually its 6-7 min long)
- We stand up and do things while counting to our number, like jumping, clapping, pretending we're alligators, etc.
- we practice writing our number of the day on our whiteboard, then we read it while pointing.
- I sing a song to them for number recognition. Some sing along, some just watch.
- We play a whiteboard game like secret number (I think of a number, they draw their guess. Every day we add the NOTD to the list of numbers it could be. So Monday, it could be any number 0-14. Sometimes I'll give hints like "it's less than 1, or it's bigger than 3 but smaller than 5"

I could change things up but I don't like doing that and I know my admin doesn't like horse and pony shows. They just want to see what day-to-day looks like. I have no idea how to incorporate self assessment into our routines though. Sometimes I'll ask them to self assess their writing and correct, but she saw that during my reading too and I think she's looking for more of an understanding assessment.

Any ideas?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 10-17-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you use any Kagan’s strategies? I liked Quiz, Quiz, Trade.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Self assess
Old 10-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you have them give a thumbs up if they know the number well, and a sideways thumb if they “kind of” know it? I don’t use thumbs down.

I also have my kids reflect on their work by showing 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers, held in front of their heart because “in your heart, you know how you did.”

I have a chart:
1 is I need to do better
2 is I’m getting it
3 is I got it
4 is I rocked it

It sounds like a great lesson- I wouldn’t change a thing, just add the self evaluation.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-17-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I struggle in this area as well. I think it's hard in kinder!

What about giving them back the objects (some or all) at the end of the lesson, and having them count them and write the number. Then they can recount, or pair up and count with another child, to see if they are right and correct themselves.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 10-18-2020, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Can you have them give a thumbs up if they know the number well, and a sideways thumb if they “kind of” know it? I don’t use thumbs down.
Why not thumbs down? I need to know if a kid doesn't get it and support the vulnerability that comes with admitting that. It's part of classroom culture of safety.

I am asking because I wonder if I am doing it wrong.

MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thumbs down
Old 10-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just my preference. Sideways thumb means not yet or try again. I keep things as positive as I can.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for answering, Munchkins!
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 10-18-2020, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow! That is a great lesson. You do it all virtually?
I am going to have to look up the number of the day podcast.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 10-18-2020, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for all the advice! Yes, this is all distance learning. I find that I have to keep my kiddos moving quickly or else I start to see them losing interest quick

I think I'll probably incorporate the self assessment into the writing (thumbs up, sideway, or down) on if the number was easy to write, then again at the very end of the lesson as a check for understand. I'll ask them to tell me how comfortable they are with the number 14. Can thy count it, write it, and know it when they see it.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote