Help

Special Education

Student rights

>

pinacolada

Student rights
Old 10-18-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

**I asked this on the busy board but I thought it may be a good idea to post it here too.

Hello. I was a regular ed teacher for about 10 years. I resigned in 2016 after my son was diagnosed with Autism. Right now, he is in a Mild/Moderate SDC TK-K class (SDC is the term used in CA for a full day SPED class). The class has 2 aides and then the SPED teacher.

We started school on August 13 and his teacher still isn't assigning any work based on IEP goals. She also isn't providing small group instruction either.

This is the daily schedule:
1st 30 min zoom session: calendar, weather, go over rule of the week, a song about letter sounds, and if time permits a read aloud.

Then she assigns 3-4 independent work activities which the parents help their child complete and upload onto Google Classroom.

During the last zoom session, she divides the class into groups of 3 (so they are split between the teacher and aides), and the students just go over their COMPLETED work (kind of like a show and tell of what they did).

My questions/concerns are:

Isn't she required by law to provide small group instruction?

Isn't she required by law to provide activities based on IEP goals?

Another concern is that she doesn't really teach. She just assigns these whole class assignments and the parents basically teach them.

For example, this week she assigned a number booklet which has the student write the number using the numeral form, word form, tallies, tens frame, dot pattern, and 2 number sentences.

None of the parents (except for me) knew what a number sentence is and how to teach it. This is just an example of how she never teaches.

I've a little unsure of what to expect since I've been out of the teaching scene. What are my child's rights? Are they different during COVID? I've spoken with the teacher and the principal. Nothing has changed.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Some thoughts
Old 10-18-2020, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw your original post and hesitated to answer but since you're asking again:

First, it sounds like your child is in a special ed. class full time. Providing small group instruction isn't required by law because the class itself is already small.

Second, your child is still quite young. Kindergarten via Zoom is challenging, and when those children have special needs it's unbelievably difficult teaching them. Please have some sympathy for the position she's in. I agree that she should be doing more direct instruction but there could be things going on that you're not aware of, including directions from her administration or supervisor.

Regarding IEP goals, she may be teaching prerequisite skills. Or she may be teaching skills that other students in the class have as IEP goals. Your child might just happen to have goals that correspond to work later in the year compared to others in the class. She may also be counting on getting back into in-person teaching to cover many of the IEP goals. IEP goals are for the whole school year.

I'm answering as a special education teacher whose own children, now grown, had IEPs. I know how stressful it is to raise a child with special needs but I can tell you that teaching special ed via Zoom is hard! Please do what you can for your child but keep in mind that teachers that are 100% virtual know that every student, from the highest to the lowest, is getting a different education than they normally would. I know that you're genuinely concerned, and maybe she should be doing things differently, I don't know. But in my school we know that we're going to have a whole lot of catching up to do when the world finally returns to normal.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote