Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

palm tree

>

kmer2

palm tree
Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am doing a beach/ocean theme in my room this year. I would love to make a palm tree to go between 2 large bulletin boards. I have found instructions on how to make a palm tree in Collections, but they are not very clear. Any ideas on how to make something like this stand up between bulletin boards? Putting it in a bucket of sand will not work this year with this group of kids I will have. (I will have sand everywhere!)

Would it be easier to get a used carpet roll, or try to score a large cardboard box to roll into the trunk? If I use the cardboard, how do I get the edges to stay together?

Thx for any ideas!

kmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ovrjoyd4u2

Plaster of Paris or Quick setting cement
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Anchor your tree in a bucket using either of materials and then cover with a thin layer of sand.

Hope it works out well.
ovrjoyd4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote

arcanluv9

Hey
Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The plaster works great. I agree with ovrjoyd...
arcanluv9 is offline   Reply With Quote

twirls-a-lot

the used carpet roll
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My friend did this a few years ago and used the carpet roll and quick cement. Worked great! She sprayed the dried cement and bucket with some spray paint that looked and felt like sand...it was really great!
twirls-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote

SingleTree

Palm tree
Old 07-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My daughter and I made trees for our Reading Areas a couple of years ago. We used the carpet rolls with the base attached at the bottom so it was able to stand alone. We took crumpled up newspaper to cover the roll, it really simulated the real deal and looked really good. We made the leaves from green butcher paper placing straightened clothes hangers in the middle with a hot glue gun. This way we could shape the leaves to look realistic. We then made monkeys from foam paper and hot glued them to the tree trunk. As soon as I can get back into my classroom I will try to post some pictures. Hope this helped!

SingleTree is offline   Reply With Quote

Debbie

party city
Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I almost think it would be worth the money to buy one of those ones that hang from the ceiling. they are at party city. i used one of those when i did a tropical theme. It was about five years ago, but i think they still make them. I believe they were around fifteen dollars. I've saved it and even used it again when I did Hollywood last year. I think it was worth the investment cuz I'm sure I'll even use it again at some point. That's just my two cents though...
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote

mom24

great palm tree
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got this idea from this website last year. I went to a resturaunt and got some of their institutional sized veggie cans. Take the lids off if they are still on. I filled the bottom one with sand and then stacked another on on top of it. I used hot glue on the edges and duct tape to put them together. I repeated this with 10 cans. (You can make it as tall as you need) (End with your last can on top open) Now you should have a structure that looks like a totem pole.
Next, I took large, brown lunch sacks and cut the bottoms off. Put these on your "trunk" by sliding them down like a sleeve. I scrunched them together so it took quite a few. For the palm leaves, I used an old umbrella (you can get one at Dollar Tree) and I took off the fabric leaving just the spokes. Get some green butcher paper, fold it and cut out your palm leaves so that you have 2. Glue these over each spoke with the spoke "sandwiched" in between the paper.
I glued a styrofoam ball in the bottom of my top can and then when I had all of my leaves on my umbrellas, I put the handle into the ball and ta-da...a wonderful palm tree.
I added some traingles from the paper sacks around the trunk and at the top for some extra decoration.
I also wrapped the trunk with string of white Christmas lights. I made two of the these last year and I can't tell you how many compliments I got on them.
I know that it sounds like a lot of work but it was not difficult at all.
GOOD LUCK!
mom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
syw

syw

palm tree
Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have made several palm trees for my classroom. I used brown paper bags that I split open, cut out the bottom, and cut off any writing. I then twisted the paper to where it looked somewhat like a vine. I stapled the pieces of vine together til I had a rope that was longer than from the floor to the ceiling. I made five of these and kind of wove them together. About 2-3 feet down I tied a string around the trunk. I then used a large paper clip to hook it on a hook from the ceiling. I spread out the "branches" using paper clips to attach to the grid work of the ceiling tiles. The bottom of the trunk you can put in a large plastic planter, which protects the tree from being bumped into. I then used bulletin board paper to cut large palm leaves that I attached to the limbs and the ceiling. I suspended paper parrots and wove silk vines and flowers up the trunk. I have had great success with these lasting up to 2-3 years. I have taken them down because of the dust or because I have changed my theme. The kids love it and are very protective of it.

kaden2nd

palm tree
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I made a palm tree for my room last year...very easy and looks great! I had a carpet roll that I scrunched brown lunch bags down it. For the top I used an old umbrella and spray painted the underneath green. The leaves were made out of felt. I made a pattern and cut out large leaves and then a few smaller ones to fill in between bigger leaves. I put the whole thing in a cinder block and filled in around the tube with extra paper. I wrapped the base with brown fabric to cover the cinder block. My kids never knocked it at all.
kaden2nd is offline   Reply With Quote

cookieteacher

Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I student taught we made our classroom into a rainforest and we used the inside of butcher paper rolls to be the tree. It worked out nice and we had them held up by placing the desks in groups of four and the tree in the middle.
I hope this helps you.

cookieteacher is offline   Reply With Quote